St. Croix Prescott need help with room fan replacement etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nana2Peyton

Hi y'all I've run an Englander upstairs for over 10 years and have done all maintenance and repairs myself. A lot of the answers I needed to troubleshoot and fix I found on this forum, thanks!

Over two years ago I bought a used St. Croix Prescott off Craigslist for the basement. I did the install and ended up pulling a couple parts for replacement but my dad passed away during that time so I'm a little vague on a few things I did and I could use some help. There was so much else to do the last couple years it just sat down there until now.

I remember it running and the room fan just stopped. I pulled the old one and ordered new. I just pulled that out of the box yesterday I've put it in but I don't remember where I pulled one wire from. The new one has two black wires like the old, I assume that means they are interchangeable? I've hooked one to the pink wire as shown in the wiring diagram. I do remember unplugging that one from the old. The diagram shows the other going to the terminal block. I see one empty place so I plugged it there. Does this sound right? Does it matter which black wire is which? Also, the new one has a green and yellow wire that the old one didn't have. Is this a ground wire? It has a connector like the two black wires but I don't know where it would connect. Ideas?

Also I had ordered a new vacuum switch and a proof of fire switch. I don't remember why but there was something that led me to think it needed one or both. At any rate, I put the vacuum switch in, no problem. My question is about the POF switch. Why did it come with spacers, anybody know? The old one is screwed on flat against the combustion blower, so I'm assuming I just put the new one on that way? Just checking because this stove was used so I want to make sure somebody else didn't do it wrong before me.

The Englander stove that I'm used to working on is pretty basic, also there is a lot more information out there. This stove has a lot more bells and whistles and I'm not finding as much how to info. As soon as I can be confident about the room fan wiring and the pof switch I'm ready to fire it up and see if all else is working.

Thanks!

Hi y'all I've run an Englander upstairs for over 10 years and have done all maintenance and repairs myself. A lot of the answers I needed to troubleshoot and fix I found on this forum, thanks!

Over two years ago I bought a used St. Croix Prescott off Craigslist for the basement. I did the install and ended up pulling a couple parts for replacement but my dad passed away during that time so I'm a little vague on a few things I did and I could use some help. There was so much else to do the last couple years it just sat down there until now.

I remember it running and the room fan just stopped. I pulled the old one and ordered new. I just pulled that out of the box yesterday I've put it in but I don't remember where I pulled one wire from. The new one has two black wires like the old, I assume that means they are interchangeable? I've hooked one to the pink wire as shown in the wiring diagram. I do remember unplugging that one from the old. The diagram shows the other going to the terminal block. I see one empty place so I plugged it there. Does this sound right? Does it matter which black wire is which? Also, the new one has a green and yellow wire that the old one didn't have. Is this a ground wire? It has a connector like the two black wires but I don't know where it would connect. Ideas?

Also I had ordered a new vacuum switch and a proof of fire switch. I don't remember why but there was something that led me to think it needed one or both. At any rate, I put the vacuum switch in, no problem. My question is about the POF switch. Why did it come with spacers, anybody know? The old one is screwed on flat against the combustion blower, so I'm assuming I just put the new one on that way? Just checking because this stove was used so I want to make sure somebody else didn't do it wrong before me.

The Englander stove that I'm used to working on is pretty basic, also there is a lot more information out there. This stove has a lot more bells and whistles and I'm not finding as much how to info. As soon as I can be confident about the room fan wiring and the pof switch I'm ready to fire it up and see if all else is working.

Thanks!

Room fan - either black wire to pink terminal, other black wire to common terminal block located in right rear of stove. All other motors have one wire connected to same terminal block also.

Green wire is safety ground.which screws to chassis somewhere, frequently cut off on many stoves I've seen.

Exhaust proof of fire thermal cap can go in 3/4 hole if there is one, if not it may need spacers to sit on top of sheet metal exh housing. This assumes new cap is not a flush mount design.

If your prescott is pre 04 it wont need the spacer on the pof, what year is it? post 04 are way different so some parts are sent universal fit.

Room fan - either black wire to pink terminal, other black wire to common terminal block located in right rear of stove. All other motors have one wire connected to same terminal block also.

Green wire is safety ground.which screws to chassis somewhere, frequently cut off on many stoves I've seen.

Exhaust proof of fire thermal cap can go in 3/4 hole if there is one, if not it may need spacers to sit on top of sheet metal exh housing. This assumes new cap is not a flush mount design.

K, thanks, I'm not confident when it comes to the electrical parts, needed the reassurance that I was thinking right. It's like I think it's going to blow up or something if I do it wrong ha.

If your prescott is pre 04 it wont need the spacer on the pof, what year is it? post 04 are way different so some parts are sent universal fit.

It's dated 06. Now that I took a second look, the spacers are there just to house the screws...now I see there is only one way to put it on there. I was trying to think through too many things about this stove yesterday and got boggled lol. Still on it today. Thanks!

I can't fire it up yet because the ash clean-out rod is stuck and also I may be missing a couple parts to the versa-grate system. Not even sure yet if that's working correctly so will be fiddling with that today. Meanwhile, I've scraped and cleaned what I could reach and the clean-out rod is able to move a bit more but doesn't easily pull in and out like I assume it should and most of it is housed so I can't see or feel it. Is there a lubricant that I can safely spray around it without it catching fire later? I have WD-40, Liquid Wrench and Aerokroil on hand, would any of those work?

Regarding the 'versa grate system' - when I turn the stove on, should this immediately start moving? I don't see anything moving at all.

I'm starting to really appreciate the simple design of the Englander I'm used to. If there were a St. Croix dealer anywhere near me I would be over there looking at one functioning to get a better idea about the whole thing but there's no dealers anywhere close.

Thanks!

Don't give up yet, St Croix Prescotts are nice stoves. Firepot clean out rod is probably caked with clinker ash thats hardened. Keep working at it, but pull out fire pot, and bottom grate to suck ash out of assembly. Maybe try spraying lube on both sides of box section that firepot sits in. Looking on bottom right and left sides you'll see a couple of tabs that move in slots, spray these to help loosen up cleanout assembly.

Versa grate motor shaft should be visible on right side of stove. Lots of gear reduction so versa grate moves very slow. But you'll be able to tell if its running or not. However its not needed to test fire stove, some users unplug the motor entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.