St croix service technician recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'd start with a good cleaning especially behind ash trap doors and up back wall. Then try the leaf blower trick on exhaust pipe to suck out ash from within with stove door open. Close air inlet damper to the width of a standard wood pencil, then reevaluate to see if this fixed airflow issue.

Typically with the St Croix. The leaf blower trick fixes your problem. What kind of burn pot issues do you have?

Thanks y'all. My burn pot is overfeeding, even on the low feed trim setting. Corn is not being burned fully. I thought it might be lack of air, but the inlet damper is fully open and there are no obstructions. I can even feel a minimal cool draft in the firebox when unlit.

Is it possible that a damper that is too wide open can cause incomplete combustion? What is the logic behind that?

Visually, the seals look good, and the ash traps are clear. I have not done the leaf blower trick but I am worried of causing a big mess. Can I just open up the exhaust and inspect? It is only ~4 feet upwards and exiting through the wall.

I can post pictures of the fire pot (with incomplete combustion residue after only a short burn), and pictures of the exhaust setup, if it will be helpful.
Thanks

You do know you do the leaf blower trick from outside
no mess in the house
ya I understand that but my porch is also kind of nice with light blue floor and white pillars, and garden right next to it. I guess I should be prepared with a pressure washer or hose at minimum to clean up afterwards.

Is it possible to use a shopvac instead of leaf blower? I have a 5HP dewalt, and a brand new dust bag. Just need to get the right adapters if it is recommended.

Too much air causes the stove to run cold but the flame usually would be short and very blow torch like. If you have taller, slower flames it sounds like not enough air. If so and you have the inlet opened all the way then you have an obstruction in the stove. If you havent done it, I suggest removing the combustion blower and cleaning out in there.

Ken

Get a piece of the 3" aluminum flex vent from Lowes. It is over by the dryer vent stuff. Put it on the outlet of the leaf blower and extend away to reduce mess. The leaf blower trick is the only thing that will fix your problem. Shop vac does not move enough air. I have been servicing St Croix stoves for 10 yrs and it fixes it everytime

Reactions: ABusWrench
Has the stove ran well before or this the first year using the St Croix? Also is the corn good quality?

Also might be a good idea to download the manual. It has a nice write up on how to adjust the damper. Overflowing pot has happened a number of times to me. Mainly it is an issue of a stiff north breeze causing the intake air issue. The other time is when I dropped the clinker and went off and left the upper grate pushed in.