st. croix york pellet stove trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joewise

Dec 17, 2011
western pa
Hi new to the site. really like it.
I have a problem with my st. croix york pellet stove. sure hope you can help. when i fire it up it starts to light but doesen't,
it will smoke a little and then shuts down. I get a blinking #2 and#3 red light,also the on and off green light blinks. my
book says it is the high limit, how can that be there is no fire to heat it up? I sure hope someone can help. I cleaned the
stove real good. thanks joe

The blinking number three light is saying the proof of fire system isn't seeing any heat (several reasons this can be the case).

The blinking number two light is say loss of vacuum (several reasons this can be the case).

If both are blinking then the high limit is tripped (this is likely the result of the previous firing and a couple of other things)

I will start treating this as an over temperature fault.

With the stove off, cold, and un plugged locate and press the manual reset high temperature snap disc's red reset button. It should go in and make a click and stay.

Things that can cause this are:

A plugged convection blower, clean both the squirrel cage and the motor, when cleaning check the plate on the motor for oiling information. Oil as recommended. Then check the squirrel cage to make sure it moves freely.

Stove feeding too large a volume of pellets (if there is a fuel feed trim, trim it down).

Switching from a high firing rate to a low one and not running the convection fan on high during the switch (this may not apply to your particular stove but it does to some stoves). Use the fan override switch while changing feed rates.

Once you have verified the convection fan as being clean, etc ,and you have reset the high temperature snap disc, restart the stove.

Have you cleaned out BEHIND the fire box using the access from the ash traps below and above and behind the impingement plate that sits under the heat exchanger?

took stove to garage, took convection fan out cleaned it real good oild it put it back in spins good . the high limit was not triped, checked it with a ohm

meter and read normanly closed. have stove set on smart start. it starts up on #1 will feed pellets and try to lite,will run for 2 or 3 minites and then shut
off. the convection motor keeps running. the #2 and #3 lite starts to blink. don't know. could it be the control board? thanks joe

just took greats and ash pans out agean and ash traps there is not to much ash there rooted out behind ash trap as much as could don't know the
inpingment plate is. Is that the plate at the top of the fire box? thanks joe

joewise said:
took stove to garage, took convection fan out cleaned it real good oild it put it back in spins good . the high limit was not triped, checked it with a ohm

meter and read normanly closed. have stove set on smart start. it starts up on #1 will feed pellets and try to lite,will run for 2 or 3 minites and then shut
off. the convection motor keeps running. the #2 and #3 lite starts to blink. don't know. could it be the control board? thanks joe

If the controller can toss two errors at a time (most can't, but that doesn't mean theirs won't then do what krooser suggested because that is the cure for both a #2 flashing fault in most cases and if the pellets don't get feed then #3 will result because of lack of fuel to get the fire going enough.

Do a search on leaf blower trick, use it.

Check the vacuum tube and the barb on the stove the tube is attached too. These must be clear.

Also check if your combustion blower is crudded up and test that out of the stove to make sure it runs at full speed on house current. Be very careful test jigging the blower, we don't want folks electrocuted.

Also the area around the igniter and do not miss the versa grate, make certain it isn't acting as a blockage by not operating.

You have graduated into the ash in the stove's plumbing stage.

joewise said:
just took greats and ash pans out agean and ash traps there is not to much ash there rooted out behind ash trap as much as could don't know the
inpingment plate is. Is that the plate at the top of the fire box? thanks joe

Yep..that's the plate under the heat exchanger.

I just got done doing a better job of cleaning my new-to-me St Croix Greenfield. It was plugged with ash behind the firebox. I used a steel coat hanger to get up into the stove thru the ash traps... poke around in there for a while... bang on the inside of the firebox with a hammer... you will be amazed at how much crap will come out.

I THOUGHT I had it clean but the flame was lazy (fixed a bad spot on ash pan gasket) and that probably helped to plug it up.

My Croix manual states that #2 and #3 blinking together is the overtemp switch. The switch itself may be okay, but what about the connections to it, and the wiring back to the control box?
If the control doesn't see vacuum, it shuts off with the #2 light, and doesn't bother looking for the POF switch, so no #3 light.
Perhaps unplugging the stove for a minute or so would reset the control; it may be confused.

krooser said:
....I used a steel coat hanger to get up into the stove thru the ash traps... poke around in there for a while... bang on the inside of the firebox with a hammer... you will be amazed at how much crap will come out.

I THOUGHT I had it clean but the flame was lazy (fixed a bad spot on ash pan gasket) and that probably helped to plug it up.

"Krooser" and "dirty stove" just don't sound right in the same sentence....sounds like the teacher needs to go back to night school, and bring his leaf blower with him. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.