Stacking on Pavement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbonboy

Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2006
Been looking around, haven't seen too many pictures of wood stacked on blacktop. I use 4x4 pallets as a base, and usually posts at the end to hold the ends. Wondering how I could do something similar on my blacktop driveway? I don't want to just "criss-cross" the ends, would really rather have a physical barrier to keep the splits as they should be. Any ideas? I'd like something that's easy to set up, preferably self contained, i.e. no spikes/pins through the blacktop, etc.

I want to move my "ready" pile closer to the house, only spot to realistically do that is in the upper driveway. We don't park there, and other than a path from the garage to get the snowblower/lawnmower out, all of the level area (20x30 or so) is available. I have basically an unending supply of good pallets, and my splits are 22-24 inches long. Thanks.

So asphalt, then pallets, and then wood? That would be superior to most any other place to set your pallet but if you don't want to criss-cross the end rows then you'll need to build a creative wood crib. Myself, I would and do criss cross the ends for the sole support of the stack.

Add cross bracing at the back of each row between the vertical posts ? and another brace from front bottom to top back to stop the corner post wanting to fall over ?

Attachments

• Woodrack.jpg
    Woodrack.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 183
Gibbonboy said:
Been looking around, haven't seen too many pictures of wood stacked on blacktop. I use 4x4 pallets as a base, and usually posts at the end to hold the ends. Wondering how I could do something similar on my blacktop driveway? I don't want to just "criss-cross" the ends, would really rather have a physical barrier to keep the splits as they should be. Any ideas? I'd like something that's easy to set up, preferably self contained, i.e. no spikes/pins through the blacktop, etc.

I want to move my "ready" pile closer to the house, only spot to realistically do that is in the upper driveway. We don't park there, and other than a path from the garage to get the snowblower/lawnmower out, all of the level area (20x30 or so) is available. I have basically an unending supply of good pallets, and my splits are 22-24 inches long. Thanks.

Get the stamped metal fence posts at HD or Lowes and bolt the bottoms of them to the pallets where the ends of the stacks will be and then use the poly rope between the posts about halfway up the stacks method like us guys that stick the posts in the ground do it.

BrotherBart said:
Get the stamped metal fence posts at HD or Lowes and bolt the bottoms of them to the pallets where the ends of the stacks will be and then use the poly rope between the posts about halfway up the stacks method like us guys that stick the posts in the ground do it.

Thanks BB, this is probably what I'll end up doing. Never thought of lagging the bottom of the post, that was kind of the sticking point in the planning. Will post some pictures once I work it out. I didn't want to rely solely on criscrossing because it takes a lot longer than the "rope trick", and isn't as strong. I just wouldn't want my son fooling around near the pile and have him get buried.

Status
Not open for further replies.