Stacking School

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacktheknife

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2012
Lakota, Iowa
Is there such a course that I can send the kids to, they sure dont seem to be learning here. Row Building 101?

LOL.

When I was a young teen, my bro and I used to go along with dad on delivery trips in his semi. He hauled steel coast to coast. In the summer if freight was slow he'd bring onions back from the southwest to the produce markets in Philly, NY, Boston, etc. Depending on moisture content (weight) he'd have anywhere between 900 to 1000 bags on board. 50 lb bags. Sometimes they were loaded directly on the trailer right out of the field, but they were ALWAYS stacked in the trailer, 50 bags in a row.

At the produce market, they would set a stack of pallets at the end of the trailer. The DRIVER stacked the bags on the pallets, or you paid a couple of vagrants / day workers at the dock to unload your rig.

Dad would say "stack it right the first time, if it falls over you're picking them up the 2nd time."

His last rig before he retired: '86 KW, 60" sleeper, 475 hp twin turbo Cummins, 48' Al-King flatbed.

LOL.

When I was a young teen, my bro and I used to go along with dad on delivery trips in his semi. He hauled steel coast to coast. In the summer if freight was slow he'd bring onions back from the southwest to the produce markets in Philly, NY, Boston, etc. Depending on moisture content (weight) he'd have anywhere between 900 to 1000 bags on board. 50 lb bags. Sometimes they were loaded directly on the trailer right out of the field, but they were ALWAYS stacked in the trailer, 50 bags in a row.

At the produce market, they would set a stack of pallets at the end of the trailer. The DRIVER stacked the bags on the pallets, or you paid a couple of vagrants / day workers at the dock to unload your rig.

Dad would say "stack it right the first time, if it falls over you're picking them up the 2nd time."

His last rig before he retired: '86 KW, 60" sleeper, 475 hp twin turbo Cummins, 48' Al-King flatbed.

Oh Baby! Ain't she sweet? That is one nice ride! MMMmmmmmmm....Lotsa Chrome. I bet dad taught you how to shine those wheels, tanks and bumper too.
Technical term for those guys stacking the onions is a lumper.

The other day they stacked the same wood 4 times. They will be going to their mom's in 20 days, I it falls over after then I have to stack it myself.

I like cutting my own grass and stacking my cord myself.
But my son always watched me and helped me as a little guy.
Now he splits and stacks his own and he told me he learned how by watching me
and helping me stack. Even cripples!!! Makes you feel good..So they are picking up what you're showing them. It will stick and they'll use it later in life.

Reactions: Jacktheknife
I like cutting my own grass and stacking my cord myself.
But my son always watched me and helped me as a little guy.
Now he splits and stacks his own and he told me he learned how by watching me
and helping me stack. Even cripples!!! Makes you feel good..So they are picking up what you're showing them. It will stick and they'll use it later in life.

I just hope they pay more attention than we did as kids lol.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Oh Baby! Ain't she sweet? That is one nice ride! MMMmmmmmmm....Lotsa Chrome. I bed dad taught you how to shine those wheels, tanks and bumper too.
Technical term for those guys stacking the onions is a lumper.

Thanks. Lumper, couldn't remember that slang earlier.

Dad cheated on the trailer wheels. Jack up axel, release brakes, hold buffer, let teenagers slowly turn the duals. That SUCKED.

After a couple of trips he would toss bro and I each a 20 bill, box of brillo pads & bucket. We had a Y splitter & 2 hoses. We would race to see who could scrub the frame rails of the trailer faster, but you had to do tiny circles to follow the factory swirl marks. Fun times in the summer heat.

When I was a kid nobody showed me how to stack wood. However, if it was not stacked good I always seemed to receive a swift kick in the seat of the pants. I learned fast. It was one of my first lessons in learning by watching and keeping my mouth shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.