Stacking Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2006
North of Boston
So for those of you without a woodshed, what's the prefered stacking method out there?

long rows with lots of space in between, or face cord against face cord to save space? Does covering just the top really work, or do you wind up chasing the covers more often than not? do single rows have a tendency to topple?

If you were building a woodshed, would you size it to stack the wood tightly, or would you try and leave room between rows?

Has anyone tried using part of their driveway for their woodpile? I have the room, and I was thinking that the heat rolling off of the black asphalt could help things dry more quickly - maybe even a holzhoufen or two?

-Dan

i stack in line. i have those stackit brackets you buy at ace hardware for cheap. they are metal corners. you make the size you want with 2 x 4 installed in the brackets. mine are 4 foot tall x 16 foot long and i have one row on them. i stack it about 5 feet high with 18 to 24 inch splits close to a cord a row. i use 3 foot wide black plastic on top and screw the ends in very tight around the end 2 x 4 and use fender washers with the screws. 2 or 3 bricks spread out on top and have never had a problem with wind no matter how strong

I build pallet size stacks bout 6' high. Pallets are free,and keep the wood off the ground. If the rain holds out this weekend, I'll take a pic of my pile. I have to go up on the roof this weekend and that's a great place to take a pic of the wood pile from. I'm not too anal about a perfect pile, but I'd like em a bit neater if possible in the future....It's my first year, so...I'm learning (mostly from the veterans here)

all poster have given good advice
5 important factors to consider when yours is log length and green.
your fastest drying condition rely on
#1 getting air space between the logs
#2 keeping them off the ground or surface
#3 locate them in a sunny place
#4 smaller size splits dry out faster
#5 start the process as soon as posible

stacking method should allow air and sun an oppertunity to do its thing once the drying process in maturing cover the top when anticipating a soaking rain remove the top all other times for maxium drying. Fine rain should not be a concern

elkimmeg said:
stacking method should allow air and sun an oppertunity to do its thing once the drying process in maturing cover the top when anticipating a soaking rain remove the top all other times for maxium drying. Fine rain should not be a concern

Elk, you just answered a nagging question for me...the issue of covering your wood. I have standard tarps folded over and bungeed in such a way that only the top of the log rack is covered (no part of the tarp wraps around the sides of the stack). In the past I'd just leave ithe cover on because 1) I figured most of the pile is exposed and getting enough air/sun from the sides anyway and 2) I'm lazy and don't want to cover and uncover if rain is in the forecast. I take it from your quote above that leaving the racks uncovered for as much as possible and only covering if a soaker is expected makes an appreciable difference? Looks like it's time to roll back my tarps!

Covering your woodpile outside is optional. I've done it both ways (covered/uncovered) over the years and as long as Elk's suggestions are followed, the covering won't matter if the pile is out long enough in the sun and gets a breeze. Once dried a few months, contrary to popular neurotic thinking, split wood won't soak up that much water from rain/snow to make a difference.

Fussin' with tarps, loose roofing boards and sharp metal edges on steel/aluminum pieces that can sail off in a blow isn't my idea of working hard or smart. I put bark side up on the top 2 rows and bring a few days worth of wood inside for the last drying spell before burning.

Burning dry wood not only is a "better" fire but it helps conserve kindling too.

Aye,
Marty

I just finished building my 1st holz hausen from 2 linier staked cords. The bottom third is 5 months seasoned the top 2 thirds was split last month. I must say it looks pretty cool and I don't have to worry about leaning or falling stacks. I will "re stack under my deck by the house in December before the snow starts. But for now, the holz hausen can bake and catch the breeze all summer without cover.

Dylan said:
adrpga498 said:
I just finished building my 1st holz hausen from 2 linier staked cords. The bottom third is 5 months seasoned the top 2 thirds was split last month. I must say it looks pretty cool and I don't have to worry about leaning or falling stacks. I will "re stack under my deck by the house in December before the snow starts. But for now, the holz hausen can bake and catch the breeze all summer without cover.

How do I stack wood??? As few times as possible.....as in "ONCE"....MAXIMUM!!

Are we to understand that that wood will have been stacked thrice by the time it is burned?

Yes , only this time for the experiment of the holz hausen. Next time I will build the HH as I process.

pictures of the Hausen?

Status
Not open for further replies.