Stainless steel fireplace opening cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jumperjack

Jan 13, 2014
northeast
I have come into some 316 stainless steel sheets and thought about using a piece over the opening of fireplace where stove currently sits. I have done insulated block off going up chimney around liner already. I thought maybe I could get more reflective heat off the stove by moving it out 6" and installing custom cut ss sheet behind it. I would drill out hole for flue then split into 2 pieces vertically for easy removal to clean liner. Any thoughts

If you have an insulated block off plate, then this will only make sense if the fireplace is on an outside wall, as then heat absorbed there gets radiated to the outdoors. If it's an central location, I think it won't matter much.

Then this would (could) make sense, if done well. I would glue roxul insulation (non-combustible!) on the back of the metal plate, and seal (silicone?) it as well.
Aesthetics is another issue; I would think I would not like it. But that's your choice.

You could get a spray can of stove paint, and use that on the plate to make it a bit less out of place looking.