Standing dead red oak score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheAardvark

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2015
Central PA
Cut up a nice dead half barkless red oak today. The top and branches are good to burn now. The bottom will have to wait until next year. Standing dead red oak scoreStanding dead red oak score

Very nice. While we have plenty of oak around here, i hardly ever find any dead standing. Tons of dead standing ash, cherry and elm. Occasionally i find one on the ground, but it always seems way too far gone to mess with. Guys regularly post them up on here from different parts of the country, so maybe we dont have as many disease isues? Guess thats a good thing.

Reactions: TedyOH
Very nice. While we have plenty of oak around here, i hardly ever find any dead standing. Tons of dead standing ash, cherry and elm. Occasionally i find one on the ground, but it always seems way too far gone to mess with. Guys regularly post them up on here from different parts of the country, so maybe we dont have as many disease isues? Guess thats a good thing.

Yes, that certainly might be the case. I think this tree did die from some kind of disease based on these unusual black spots.Standing dead red oak score

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Nice haul. Those standing dead process up nice and quick without all of the little branches.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder