Starlink Train

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
It was a cloudy yesterday but cleared out in time for me to see the latest train of Starlink satellites in the sky that were recently launched. It looks like a long string of beads in a straight line going from low in the west to east where they fade out at higher angle. They should also be visible tonight sometimes between 6:30 and 7PM (for my location around 6:47PM). Once they get lined up to their eventual locations they will disperse. Definitely kind of cool.

Thanks for sharing info about tracking Starlink satellites. Really neat that we can track satellites and view some with naked eye. I haven't had good window of observation yet. Hopefully it won't be difficult to spot in light-polluted sky.

My dads friend, a retired physics prof, shared link for tracking the ISS - Spot the station nasa
I was surprised how easy to locate ISS in sky once you know time and location in sky. It was almost like clockwork.

Thanks for sharing info about tracking Starlink satellites. Really neat that we can track satellites and view some with naked eye. I haven't had good window of observation yet. Hopefully it won't be difficult to spot in light-polluted sky.

My dads friend, a retired physics prof, shared link for tracking the ISS - Spot the station nasa
I was surprised how easy to locate ISS in sky once you know time and location in sky. It was almost like clockwork.
Indeed! It IS clockwork. Our clocks and calendars are all based on orbital frequencies. The ISS and starlink satellites are following these rules. They just happen to be man-made orbiting bodies that reflect and emit visible light.

Amazing stuff!