Start up and burn checklist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ekg0477

Oct 15, 2014
Langhorne, PA
Just coming up on one month of burning with a Jotul Insert. In the past has all been an open brick fireplace. Im looking to help my wife out with keeping the stove going all day while I'm at work.

Can anyone help me out with a check list, I kinda over whelmed her trying to explain what to do.

Thanks

Assuming there are coals.

1. Open air control lever all the way.

2. Put small splits on to coals while wearing gloves.

3. Put more splits into firebox.

4. Close Door.

5. Start closing down air control in measured steps once temp reaches ____ degrees (depends on what you are measuring) as measured by ______(depends on measuring device -- in my own case I tend to go by the flue temp using a probe thermo, but with an insert I suspect you will go with the insert's temp using an IR thermometer or stove top thermo.

6. Sit back and enjoy the view and warmth.

Reactions: ekg0477
If you load it at night will you have nice orange coals left in the morning? I tried teaching my wife to shovel the ash in the morning in the front, rake coals forward, and load the wood to the top of the stove first. Then I turn the air all the way up and leave the door cracked until the new wood catches (around 15 mins) and then close the door with air on high. When it's burning well (around 20 mins) close air around half way. About 25 minutes later I turn it down almost all the way. This is with dry wood, results will vary with different wood dryness. As long as you have good burning coals in the morning it's fairly simple but my wife still didn't really want to deal with it. Maybe yours is more receptive. I try to not load too much wood late afternoon and early evening so at bedtime I have just hot coals then load it up for the night. This comes with practice and judgement with time. Good luck

Yeah I get it going most mornings from the left over coals. Today I shut the air down about half way with a fairly full load. We'll see when I get home if she decided to keep it going or not.

Firefigterjakes check list should make it pretty simple for her. I tend to overload her with info.

Status
Not open for further replies.