Start-up pellet overload

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

luvatenor

Feb 19, 2017
Oregon
I have a 2002 Breckwell p23. When I start it, it goes to power level 1 and begins to cycle pellets into the pot. Before the ignitor can start igniting pellets, the pot overflows. I have to open the door and scoop most of the pellets out, close the door and continue until the fire emerges. How can I reduce the amount of pellets at startup- I tried to reset the trim but that had little if any effect. Because of the amount of pellets at startup, the fire is initially intense-I put a thermometer on the top ledge and the temp reached almost 500 degrees, before the normal cycle took over and the temp reduced to it's normal 275-300 with much less pellets per auger cycle. Any advice? Thanks

Is there a compartment that houses the ignitor on Breckwell stoves? Like right under the burn pot? If so, is it possible it needs a thorough cleaning?

I ask these questions as with my Harman P61A I've experienced exactly the same type of start up issues. Immediately I know I need to clean out the ignitor area. Once done, and it usually means there's a very significant build up of ash, the stove starts up like a charm.

Basically the ash build up prevents the ignitor from really conducting heat into the pellets above. The ash also prevents proper air flow in and around the ignitor and burn pot area pretty much killing any chance at combustion.

Reactions: Tech Guru
Is there a compartment that houses the ignitor on Breckwell stoves? Like right under the burn pot? If so, is it possible it needs a thorough cleaning?

I ask these questions as with my Harman P61A I've experienced exactly the same type of start up issues. Immediately I know I need to clean out the ignitor area. Once done, and it usually means there's a very significant build up of ash, the stove starts up like a charm.

Basically the ash build up prevents the ignitor from really conducting heat into the pellets above. The ash also prevents proper air flow in and around the ignitor and burn pot area pretty much killing any chance at combustion.

Thanks much for the info- I did notice that the igniter was a bit loose in the housing- I will access it from the back of the stove, remove it and then clean the housing-Thanks again