Starter Solenoids yummmm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Why would my tractor eat solenoids?

What's failing? Coil or contacts?

I don't know!
Its starts ok for a while then nothing..check all safety crap.
Jump the two bolts ... starts right up!
This type
upload_2017-7-31_10-28-12.jpeg

Well, it's going to be hard for us to tell you why your tractor is eating them, from that level of information. Does it make a noise when it's failing to start, like a clicking or humming, or is it truly nothing? You're saying that replacing the solenoid always solves the issue?

Yes to replacing.
Faint clicking noise

If it sounds like it's clicking over solid (not humming and struggling to engage), then it's likely the contacts failing, due to arcing. Are you sure they're rated for your starter current? Maybe someone put a bigger starter on that tractor, and failed to upgrade the solenoid? Do you have access to a clamp-on ammeter?

I have had the same problem on some aftermarket china made solenoids for atvs. Sure they are only $10, but as many as i have had to replace for people and the aggravation of getting to them, i will only get oem replacment for atvs. They are more expensive but you dont have the headaches and aggrivation of replacing then. They do make some cheaper china made ones for mower as well. You gotta watch them. Also make sure you have a good ground and good connections

Common problem on just about anything with an electric starter once the machine gets some age to it. The solenoid coil is getting low voltage. The easiest solution is to wire a 12v (assuming a 12v system) relay in. When you turn the key to the start position that will activate the relay, which activates the solenoid. The "load" side of your new relay is wired direct to the battery and the existing starter solenoid...if that makes sense...
Lots of antique tractors running this lil work around...
Oh, and like Dmax said ^ ^ ^ check the grounds too

Reactions: duramaxman05
Figure out the two small terminals, then jumper wire direct to them when it 'fails' and see if it works. Also, check the voltage beingh supplied to the coil small terminals. If it is low, the relay idea above might fix it.
But first, you need to know if it is the voltage supply to the device or the device itself.

I had the battery tested 84% good
I spent the time and adjusted the vaulves.
Tried to start with the old solenoid ...nope.
New solenoid started right up! Runs like a champ for now.....

What's the voltage at the solenoid when cranking? (from the key or starter switch?)
I still believe low voltage is taking them out.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody