Wood Boiler fan damper solenoid life

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mwhearth

Oct 24, 2022
CT
I've had 4 fan damper solenoids fail this winter on my Hawken GX10 wood boiler. The company that provides aftermarket support for this wood boiler sold me the Dormeyer 2005-M-1 solenoids as replacement spares. These 2005-M-1 solenoids have been lasting about 2 weeks before they short out. These solenoids look pretty cooked when I replace them so I am guessing they are failing due to overheating. The "class A" coil insulation on 2005-M-1 solenoid is only rated to 105 deg C / 221 deg F. Fortunately, Dormeyer makes an identical solenoid that uses a higher temperature (class F) coil insulation that is rated to 155 deg C / 311 deg F. I ordered two of these 2005- F-34 solenoids this evening and will report back on my findings once I get one of them installed.

Last edited: