Starting a chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodyIsGoody

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2017
Pacific NW Washington
Who drop-starts their chainsaw? With or without the chain brake on?

I always drop-start mine, no chain brake, and it doesn't seem dangerous to me as long as I pay attention. But I hear it supposedly is. I might get a back injury bending over to start it on the ground.

How does everyone else start theirs?

Reactions: D8Chumley
I don't drop start but I know I'm pretty much a novice so I don't color outside the lines much when it comes to chainsaws.

Drop start, sometimes the brake is off but mostly on

Drop with brake off.

Might be a bad habit, but it's a 40 year old one and it works for me. Also finding, with age, the gravity-added cranking help from the weight dropping is a bonus. Actually, it doesn't really drop that much - just enough to counter the pull. But still a help.

On the ground when cold - foot on handle, and after it warms up - handle between legs. Chain brake always on during starting (habit). These are the two approved methods described in the Stihl safety manual.
With drop starting (yes I've done it a few times) the user could potentially lose control (since only one hand is on saw) with the saw swinging and rotating about the starter cord. Even if not started there is a chance of an uncontrolled bar/ chain catching you.

ALWAYS handle between legs. I don't have a 900hp chainsaw (and it's a stihl) so it's easy to start. Usually 1 - 2 pulls. And I cut without another adult around 99% of the time so this way there's never a chance I'm going to cut myself. Plus I kinda like my face. It's not perfect, but adding a big chainsaw scar wouldn't help my luck with the ladies. ==c

Always between my legs, saw my uncle get a small but nasty cut on his right leg drop starting (no chaps naturally). Between the legs isn't a huge hassle.

Saw on level ground, R foot on tank handle, L hand on handlebar, chain brake off.

Saw on level ground, R foot on tank handle, L hand on handlebar, chain brake off.

I do this on a cold saw, but on warm restart I just set chain brake and drop it. Those of you doing it with chain brake off, consider it takes less than one second to toggle that brake handle.

I also drop start with brake on but I also always wear chaps
a cutters vest hard hat with stainless steel mesh face guard
done it this way for 52 years . Got my first saw at 15 . A
sports mans with a 14 bar . Cost 41$ a whole weeks pay
Still have it still runs

On the ground, with chain brake on. I am a bit of a klutz so I take as few chances as possible.
If the saw is warm, sometimes will start two-handed "in the air" but never drop start it...trying to explain what happened to the wifey on the way to the ER is just not a conversation I feel like having. ;):):);)

Last edited:
I start my primary saw by pushing a button and squeezing the trigger. ==c Starts right up, every time--as long as the battery still has juice!

My "big boy" saw, on the other hand, I start on the ground with my foot through the handle. A bit harder on the back but that's what Dolmar recommends. (Edit: And yes, I use the compression valve. For the Dolmar, that is.)

How many of you push the compression valve before you start?

I tried the compression valve a few times but I don't feel much difference with it on or off so I quit using it. A 50cc saw simply doesn't need it. I think I'll remove it and plug the hole as soon as I find a suitable plug.

I'm a wuss I use it on my 026 and 084. Why strain its so easy to hit while grabbing the rip cord.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Prefer between my knees, on the ground for the 440 if it's being balky. Warm restarts between the knees. Use the compression release on the 440, never on the Redmax G5300. Generally chain brake off.

If I didn't use the compression release on my Poulan 405+ I would end up throwing the thing over my shoulder. Or throwing out my shoulder.

I have only dropped started it one time. But that is a long story I have told here before. Was showing off.

How many of you push the compression valve before you start?
I usually forget about the valve being there until I clean the air filter--then I think--I should start using this. My first 2 saws didn't have them, guess it is just habit to not use it at this point.

I always put the handle between my legs and start the saw. Cutting wood is dangerous enough as it is, I don't need to increase the odds of something going wrong--I have the wind, tree rot, rocks on the ground, and anything else in the woods for that.

I always put the handle between my legs and start the saw.

I avoid anything that might bruise the family jewels! :eek:

I've had to tell my doctor why I have two bruises between my knees.. ==c

Reactions: D8Chumley and Prof
I've had to tell my doctor why I have two bruises between my knees.. ==c

I just tried the between the knees starting and realized why I don't use that position. It hurts! I think there is a major artery running down the inside of your legs. No wonder you get bruises. After the first pull I decided to use the compression released (which helped but did not alleviate) the issue. Also, the angle of pull on the starter cord with my shoulder joint did not feel natural (vs. drop starting). It felt like my shoulder joint was not well aligned for a pulling motion on the starter cord.

Now I'm going to say something controversial:

I believe there is a proper way to drop start a chainsaw and that proper drop starting is safer than the between the legs method (even though manufacturers approve one method and not the other). Let me explain.

Stroke is a leading cause of death and disability and, while I'm not a doctor, I know that most strokes begin with blood clots forming in the legs and becoming lodged in the blood vessels bringing oxygenated blood to the brain. I also know that the bruising caused by things as benign as ill fitting ski boots have been associated with clotting leading to a stroke. Strokes can be fatal or seriously debilitating. If bruising from ski boots can cause a stroke then it only stands to reason that bruising from starting a chainsaw between your legs can lead to a stroke. And yet it is unlikely that a chainsaw has ever been attributed to death or disability by stroke. Yet, if someone drop starts a saw using poor technique and receives a nasty gash, we know exactly what caused the injury. But death or disability is the same whether it's caused by a bloody gash or the silent killer.

Riding a motorcycle improperly can also lead to death. Done with skill and awareness it can be relatively safe. I have been riding motorcycles for over 40 years and realized at about age 15 that one little mistake could mean instant death or maiming injury. But I also realized in that same moment that the secret to avoiding injury/death was to master the skills and ride with ultimate awareness and precision. Ultimately, there can still be mistakes and injury/death can still result. But I learned that the machine simply follows the rules of physics. It doesn't have a mind of it's own. At least in the woods I am not at the mercy of other drivers when drop starting my saw. I guess a cougar or bear could startle me at that critical moment. I'll take my chances. It has got to be many times safer than riding a motorcycle. Plus, I already know how to do it.