starting gel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I at Lowes and Walmart and noticed a starting fluid/gel for woodstoves. Anyone use it? Any recommandations?

Are you sure that wasn't meant for pellet stoves? My recommendation is dry kindling and SuperCedars.

I saw it too, said safe for all wood stoves. i thought it seemed a little fishy

I tired it a couple of years ago when I was a rookie... :)

Didn't think it worked too well. Now i stick with a couple pieces of fatwood and a firestarter, works every time ;-)

I used some today with my first fire in my "used" avalon. It does not leave any residue and burns for about 5 minutes - clean! It actually worked better than I thought it would, but I got it for free and I don't know if I would go out of my way to buy it again.

Dry wood, kindling, and a 1/4 of a Super Cedar. I don't squirt anything into my stoves. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.