Starting my "storage and replumb" project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How big is your plate? I'd expect it to get much closer than that. I have a 40 plate and I can get within about 10 degrees of the owb temp. I don't have storage though. That is just heating the indoor boiler loop.

It's a 20 plate HX. I thought about going to a 30 but I was worried it would pull to much heat from the boiler.

Lately I've been seeing over 600::F flue temps. so this morning I decided to build my prototype turbulator. well I stuffed it in the heat exchanger and instantly lost 45 degrees at the readout. so apparently turbulators have their place in the world.

Here's a pic of my goofy turbulator

20161120_080311.jpg

Can't believe the flue gases wrapping around this thing 2.5 times it loses 45 degrees. wow!

Reactions: brenndatomu
I had my dad come over today and help me start boxing in my tanks and finishing my ceiling panels. we started putting some insulation in the eves of the garage to get ready for the blown-in insulation.

Some pics.

I still need to put my temp sensors all over my tanks so I didn't completely stuff the box full yet.

20161123_161406.jpg

20161123_161337.jpg

20161123_161350.jpg

And the ceiling panels

20161123_161332.jpg

20161123_161318.jpg

With the ceiling closed in and the tanks semi insulated, my storage should last alot longer now.

Reactions: brenndatomu
So I started trying to change things up to get a better burn. I change my secondary (over fire) air. I added a piece of pipe to my drop down in my fire grate and another piece in my cap that covers that entrance in the ash pan. I also changed my branch that the secondary air comes from.

Addition to drop down in fire grate.

20161207_113323.jpg

Cap with pipe going into the drop down. this insures positive engagement between the fire grate and outside air pipe.

20161207_115434.jpg

Outside air enters valve, here

20161207_115445.jpg

And the new branch where hopefully secondary flames will occur. it's not real pretty but this is temporary for testing.

20161207_115909.jpg

20161207_115915.jpg

Reactions: Mike Fromme
Ever get this minor lil detail ironed out?

Nope, still looking. I've applied at all the top priority places I was looking and I'm slowly trickling down now. today I was kicking around the idea of applying at hardees in town. lol its something, you know. I worked at a BK 10 years ago it couldnt be much different.

It's a bad time of year to be looking for a manufacturing job.

Did you say your plate hx is only a 20 plate? That's not much heat transfer area for that much water.

Yeah it's only a 20 plate. it sheds about 30 degrees from boiler water to every 20 degrees of storage pickup until things get really close to balancing out. I was worried about return temps so I went with the 20 plate. I think I could have gone 25 out 30.

That's an interesting way of keeping the delta t in check. Conventional way of doing that would be to size your pump to do that.

That's an interesting way of keeping the delta t in check. Conventional way of doing that would be to size your pump to do that.

I already had the pump on hand to use and the exchanger was only $110 on ebay vs a $200 delta t pump.

I've been thinking about switching it up next year by putting a delta t pump on both sides of the heat exchanger. and possibly a bigger heat exchanger.

What are you getting for a delta t on the boiler side now? I would think you would want to get close to 20 as possible when charging the system since you have a conventional design boiler and high stack temps which equal higher btus lost to the atmosphere. The higher the delta t you can get without causing the boiler to lose temp and also not high enough to cause shock to the boiler with low return temps the more btus you will be able to send to the water tanks instead of the atmosphere. I would think that if you could get the boiler into the 175-180 range and then start charging the tanks and could find the correct delta t that you didn't gain or lose any temp on the boiler side that would be the ideal delta t. Any one with water storage expierence got any opinions on that?

I'll be adding in another turbulator in my heat exchanger to lower my stack temps more.

But to answer your question, my delta t on the boiler side us right around 30 degrees. I'm not concerned with shocking the boiler as I have a protection valve for that. my problem with charging my tanks that I see now is when my boiler approaches 180-190 range the tanks don't take as much heat as before. the delta T at that point is only about 10 degrees on the storage side. I guess that's where a delta t pump would play a big roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.