Startup issues on Englander 25-pdvc - (i believe this is the correct model number)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwebb

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Maine
I have a 1 year old stove and got it hooked up this week. It worked great for a few days, but now it will not light. I hit start and the igniter does not do anything as far as glowing red like it did yesterday. I cleaned the ashes out last night and after that it quit working. I got the vacuum out this morning and sucked out a pellet from the hole, but i don’t see anything in the hole itself. Five or six hours before i cleaned my stove i successfully started it and after it was running i tested it with my battery backup because I have a lot of power bumps at my house. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you the original owner of the stove, or did you buy it used? The ignitors don't go bad often, but it's curious that it started OK after a cleaning, but not after. When you say cleaning, did that mean a complete, top to bottom cleaning, including removing the blowers, cleaning the vacuum switch air tube, all ash traps, etc, etc?

I have found that placing a handful of pellets in front of the igniter before starting helps the ignition process. That was when I used the igniter. I don't bother anymore, I just throw in a handful of pellets, some gel and light it myself.

If you call Englander direct, 800-245-6489 their customer service is outstanding. I'm sure they would be able to answer your questions

There is also a member on here; stoveguy2esw that will also answer your questions,.....he may weigh in before long.

I cleaned out the ashes and tried to fire it up, and no go. I saw some other posts saying to make sure the tube is clean and i have done that. I just pulled the back off and put a meter across the two leads that go to the igniter and it is not showing any type of voltage. Also, when i try to start it, it goes into startup mode, feeds pelets and sucks air from the outside and also blows cold air out.

sorry, i messed up my meter testing. I retested and found that the white line all the way to the right and a bit lower than the others (if you are looking at the board and the plugs are at the top) has 110 volts. The one right next to it has no voltage.

cwebb said:
sorry, i messed up my meter testing. I retested and found that the white line all the way to the right and a bit lower than the others (if you are looking at the board and the plugs are at the top) has 110 volts. The one right next to it has no voltage.

OK, I'm no electrician, but just to rule out the ignitor as a problem, put your volt-ohmeter on Ohms, and measure across the ignitor leads after unplugging them. (I think I read that most ignitors should read somewhere around 40-50 ohms (someone correct me if that's off)).

Anyway, if you get no reading at all (ignitor is burned out), or a reading of "0" (dead short...no resistance), you'll know that's your problem.

Otherwise, the problem is elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.