State of my remodel/hearth/stove install...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseRedHoofbeats

Feeling the Heat
Oct 7, 2010
San Antonio, TX
So around last October, I was all set to get myself a new hearth and a new stove as part of my home remodel. I found hearth.com and just had myself a ball planning my hearth and researching stoves, and found the sweet little Englander and was just happy as a lark.

Then we found out my dad had terminal cancer, and I tried to get as much done as good as quickly as I could so that I could get down to see him before he started chemo. Spent five weeks living with my mother. Then my plane home was delayed and I spent six hours stuck in an airport with a two year old, and then five hours on a plane with the same two year old.

Got home, and my husband's has accomplished exactly jack squat. And what he did get done, half of it I had to take down and redo because he cocked it up. I wish I had taken pictures of this wall patch he tried to do.... he got 1/8" pressboard and used sixteen penny nails in it. For the record, he cannot hammer a nail in straight. About one third of the time he bends them at a 90 degree angle, the other third he snaps the head clean off because he hits it off center and too hard. The rest of the third he can sink it in okay but then bends it at the last minute and just whams it until it's flat. Needless to say, I did not want bent sixteen penny nails in my wall. So I took that down. And then it turns out that he didn't mix up the floor leveler right, and it's too thick and it's cracking into itty bitty pieces.

To be fair, he did a beautiful job on the hearth. We got this really pretty slate-grey ceramic tile (looks JUST like slate but for half the price!) and it looks great. The Micore is working out beautifully. So he has talents. Carpentry just is not one of them. Which is fine, because I've never tiled anything in my life...

Anyway, and so we were on track to maybe be in shape for a stove install in a month maybe.

And then -THEN-

My *&%$!ing car breaks down. See my thread about "expensive lesson in automotive repair" in the DIY forum for details on that.... So that's going to eat up my money for the stove install. Fortunately, the installer is a REALLY nice guy and is storing it for me for free.

So if we're lucky, I might actually get my stove installed by February maybe or something. So still plenty cold enough to use, and on the bright side, my wood will be even that much more seasoned, and I'll have half of it to save for next year. My furnace is in better shape than I thought- it is actually heating the house and we don't have CO poisoning yet, so we at least won't freeze to death.

Been a heck of a winter, lemme tell you!

~Rose

Hang in there Rose. That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger. God Bless you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.