Status of Fixes on the Mt Vernon AE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

victor

Sep 11, 2008
Maryland
From reading this forum a number of people had problems with the Mt Vernon AE when it was first introduced. Fixes were done and the number of problems seems to have dropped drastically. The Mt Vernon has the best set of features for what I want. I heard them run at two different dealers and the quietness is important since it will be in a room with a TV. We have a 3300 sq ft two-story colonial with a fireplace in the family room and foyer open to the second floor. I'm hoping the 60,000 BTU capability will do a lot to keep the electric heat we have now from running almost constantly as it did last year at times.

For those who have had theirs a year or more how is it working now? Have you had time to really test it since last year? If you purchased one this year have you run it much and is it working well? I'm hoping if I get one now it will work as advertised and meet the expectations I have of it after talking with the dealer.

I got one two weeks ago. No problems-just make sure you have the latest control board and wall unit and you should be good to go.

Purchased my AE insert in Sept 06 and ran it all of last winter. I too have a large home and the fireplace insert is located in a great room with an open 2 story. I ran the AE on the highest setting, going through 2 to 2 1/2 bags of pellets daily. Although that seems a lot to some it was much more efficient than my propane alternative. The AE fared very well with the exceptions of extremely cold nights when the propane had to help out. One thing I had to do was set the AE on softwood setting so that it would not self clean as often. I found at the highest setting that the softwood would self clean approximately every 4 hours versus 2.5 on the hardwood setting.

The only (minor) problem I had with the AE was the baffle cracking at the top which wasn't a performance issue for me. I called my dealer and he promptly ordered me a new one which I have yet to install.

Good Luck

jackovalltrades:

Thanks for your reply. Where in MD do you live? I was a bit turned off by my local dealer and will probably get one from a dealer a little farther away. I tried to e-mail you but the message got returned as undeliverable.

victor said:
jackovalltrades:

Thanks for your reply. Where in MD do you live? I was a bit turned off by my local dealer and will probably get one from a dealer a little farther away. I tried to e-mail you but the message got returned as undeliverable.

Victor, sent you a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.