Staying Warm 150 years ago.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Srbenda

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
PA Horse Country
Each of you benefit from the incredible advances in technology, even in the ability of an insert or stove to heat the house. How did people stay warm 150 years ago?
Consider the building technology, the heating technology, and the heat can be gotten from a fireplace alone.

Anyone ever studied this? Did they just stay a lot colder in the winter?

Srbenda said:
Each of you benefit from the incredible advances in technology, even in the ability of an insert or stove to heat the house. How did people stay warm 150 years ago?
Consider the building technology, the heating technology, and the heat can be gotten from a fireplace alone.

The Franklin wood and coal stoves have been around since the 1720s. British inventor, James Sharp patented a gas stove in 1826, the first successful gas stove to appear on the market.

In old homes there was a design called a four square where the home would be a large square divided into four rooms upstairs and down. Each room would have a fireplace. Many of which had a Franklin wood or coal stove inserted into the hearth (The Perry Mansion in New Hope is a fine example).

So, since my home was built in 1741, I guess it isn't that odd that I am installing a third stove ;)

Additionally, if you watch a lot of old movies and you own an old home, you begin to realize why they wore so much clothing back then.

A lot of ordinary folk froze their buns off. We visited an old homestead from the 1700s a few years back. The owners showed us the basement kitchen. I suspect this relation was poorer than some. Seems not everyone had a stove, they didn't. I imagine they were expensive back then. This dirt cellar was where they lived when the weather got cold. There was a complete fireplace there, but I bet they were really ready for spring when it came.

BeGreen said:
A lot of ordinary folk froze their buns off. We visited an old homestead from the 1700s a few years back. The owners showed us the basement kitchen. I suspect this relation was poorer than some. Seems not everyone had a stove, they didn't. I imagine they were expensive back then. This dirt cellar was where they lived when the weather got cold. There was a complete fireplace there, but I bet they were really ready for spring when it came.

The good 'ole days were not that good.

Our home had 4 chimneys that I know of. Those were upstairs, and I'm sure there were some for the downstairs. I couldn't imagine living here like that. They threw old boards in the walls for insulation. When grandpa bought the home in the 60's there was no insulation. So there was a furnace in the basement, and one on the second floor to heat the house. At that point a large stoker coal furnace was put in. Even then the upstairs was freezing cold at night. Now the windows are replaced and the walls are insulated and I installed a new duct system to carry heat to the second story the house. Now the home heats with a single unit. Back when the house was built, there wasn't plumbing so I guess they didn't have to worry about pipes bursting. I'm sure there were many cold nights. There were also multiple doors in the home.

I am willing to bet they went through a little more wood than we do :)

pen

None of the old houses had an exterior wind barrier like tar paper. Most often the boards were locally hand milled and therefore were not of the tightest fit. If they were in a hurry, the boards would be still green and shrinkage was common. Some places leaked like sieves. This might be barely tolerable in England or Holland where the winters were milder, but downright miserable when these folks moved to New England. The well to do could afford to use seasoned wood and better practices like caulking joints with horse hair or building with stone. Some of the old houses even had sawdust in their walls for insulation.

BeGreen said:
None of the old houses had an exterior wind barrier like tar paper. Most often the boards were locally hand milled and therefore were not of the tightest fit. If they were in a hurry, the boards would be still green and shrinkage was common. Some places leaked like sieves. This might be barely tolerable in England or Holland where the winters were milder, but downright miserable when these folks moved to New England. The well to do could afford to use seasoned wood and better practices like caulking joints with horse hair or building with stone. Some of the old houses even had sawdust in their walls for insulation.

We've found our share of old book pages and newspaper in the third section of the house that was built somewhere between 1800-1850.

Well, at least they were literate.. or maybe not? That must have been a fun find.

my neighbor is an oldtimer he saw me cutting wood and came over to reminisce about his memories dealing with woodheat as a child living in his parents farmhouse in upstate newyork.one of the stories he mentioned was on cold January mornings his mom would be on one side of the house desperately stoking up a fire and his dad would be in the other room stoking up yet another fireplace and many times the large vase with flowers on the kitchen table would be frozen solid and the wind would seem to push right through the pine boards in the walls

My wife grew up in a large log house (actually an inn) that had no central heat, just an inadequate kerosene stove. She remembers seeing her goldfish bowl frozen one morning. They survived (even the goldfish) but lived under electric blankets that winter.

Pat10 said:
they slept with heated bricks i think

Actually when it came to farmhouses, as they built the house in square sections the new portion would be where they slept and an older section would have animals in it (cows, chickens, whatever they had). I know the first two sections of our house were that way (dining room and kitchen). Kitchen was the first room built, then they added the dinning room and the other section would have the animals in it.

The smell alone would have kept me up.

Thats funny about the animals. Dad said our house at one time had pigs and chickens upstairs. I believe it because the trim and the flooring was torn up quite a bit compared to the downstairs of the home. Our home was built at once. I know our barn was built in 1880, but not sure about the home. I'd have to guess the mid 1800's.

BeGreen said:
None of the old houses had an exterior wind barrier like tar paper. Most often the boards were locally hand milled and therefore were not of the tightest fit. If they were in a hurry, the boards would be still green and shrinkage was common. Some places leaked like sieves.

Our house was built in 1882. While its no where near tight, they did put a vapor barrier on it. And the sheathing is all 1x8 tongue and groove. Then there is tar paper over that, then the wood siding. Its not tight, but its pretty good design for the day. The tar paper still looks fairly good. Its a red color and will crumble in some spots.

The house is a colonial style and originally had two chimneys. It was built in the 4 rooms style described above. Previous owners removed one of the chimneys and opened up one half of the downstairs. We re-did everying and found every room had a thimble in the chimney. And a lot of creosote around said thimbles. In fact so much so that the walls were bulging in a couple rooms becuase of it! Imagine a chimney fire lighting that stuff up!

But they had 4 stoves feeding 1 chimney if these were all used! I bet they got along ok.

BrowningBAR said:
Srbenda said:

The Franklin wood and coal stoves have been around since the 1720s. British inventor, James Sharp patented a gas stove in 1826, the first successful gas stove to appear on the market.

In old homes there was a design called a four square where the home would be a large square divided into four rooms upstairs and down. Each room would have a fireplace. Many of which had a Franklin wood or coal stove inserted into the hearth (The Perry Mansion in New Hope is a fine example).

So, since my home was built in 1741, I guess it isn't that odd that I am installing a third stove ;)

I am sure that the majority of people didn't have the luxury of those stoves. I am more curious about the common folk, as most of the responses above reference.

BeGreen said:

This is a fascinating discussion, I think. Glad somebody started it.

Lord knows there are a lot of old, drafty, uninsulated farmhouses in VT, but some folks did know how to build them, and also how to site them. Mine built around 1850 has two of its walls a foot thick (not sure what's in there, or was in there since the previous owners did put some insulation in the walls) and well-fitted clearly original oak siding in fine condition. It sits on the SE side of a low ridge, so it's got considerable protection from the prevailing N and W winds of winter and gets that low winter sun all day (when there is sun!). It was one of those four square room deals, though the interior walls have been opened up and modified a lot. It had at least two chimneys, though it's a small house. There's a cistern under one of the front rooms, far enough down that the water that's still in it doesn't freeze even in the worst sub-zero winter stretches. I assume that's where the kitchen was originally.

Around 1900, a small extension was put onto the house on the west side, which now houses the kitchen. In back of that is an unheated (but now at least insulated and semi-finished) large storeroom, and in back of that is a large attached woodshed. Those two things put two good spaces between those cold west winds and the living space in winter, and between the living space and the hot afternoon sun in summer.

My neighbors up the road, by contrast, have a big, rambling, much more handsome house built in the 1790s, sited quite elegantly right on the very top of the ridge, where it gets beaten to death by the wind in winter and the sun in summer.

Kinda funny. My very modest little farmhouse was clearly built and sited by long-time Vermonters, or at least denizens of the north, who knew what they were doing. The elegant place on top of the ridge not so much. In my imagination, I can see the then locals watching the house on the ridge going up and shaking their heads.

Srbenda said:
BrowningBAR said:
Srbenda said:

I am sure that the majority of people didn't have the luxury of those stoves. I am more curious about the common folk, as most of the responses above reference.

Most old homes had relatively small rooms and each room would be able to be closed off allowing a fireplace to warm that one room. If you have a small room with a fireplace in it the fireplace will do a 'decent' job at warming one room. The main portion of my home (which was not a wealthy estate farm home back in it's day) has two chimneys, the kitchen and the living room with the dining room stuck in the middle. There were doors that would close off each room with the fireplace allowing it to stay relatively warm.

Also, large pot belly stoves were quite common even in 'common folk' homes.

Small rooms around a central chimney did the best. They also shuttered the windows with boards to reduce heat loss.

I thought pot belly stoves were a relatively modern invention, pushed on by the railroads, but will have to check. I think box stoves preceded them by almost a century.

BeGreen said:
Small rooms around a central chimney did the best. They also shuttered the windows with boards to reduce heat loss.

I thought pot belly stoves were a relatively modern invention, pushed on by the railroads, but will have to check. I think box stoves preceded them by almost a century.

Sorry, I kind of lump box stoves and pot belly stoves into the same category. You are probably correct.

George Washington's Mount Vernon estate use 1 cord of wood each day in the winter (heat/cooking/hot water) and this is in Virginia.

Just down the road from us is an old, entirely stone, barn circa 1870's or slightly earlier. Inside, 1/4 of the upper loft was originally living space. The cows/pigs/whatever lived in the lower section and the heat from their bodies rose up and warmed the upper section of the barn where the homeowner lived. As I understand it, this was built by a German family and that is how they lived 'in the old country'.

My Mom grew up in the farmhouse built by her grandfather, circa 1850-60's. Again, small rooms. Sometimes a fireplace, sometimes not. I recall her telling me about the goose down mattresses and wool quilts for warmth. A 'chamber pot' was in each bedroom for those middle of the night trips to the bathroom. Sometimes the chamber pot's contents froze over night and they would have to set it next to a hot stove in the morning to thaw the contents before they could dump it. There always seemed to be a heated discussion as to 'who' had used the chamber pot during night versus 'who' had to attend to it in the morning.

We have pictures of Mom and family riding in the old 'one-horse-open-sleigh' wrapped up in bear skinned rugs and warmed by fireside bricks and warmed soapstone. Of course, back then, Mom said her underwear was made of old flour sacks and she & sisters wore their Dad's old worn out wool long johns to bed to keep warm instead of wearing nightgowns.

Shari

BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:

Sorry, I kind of lump box stoves and pot belly stoves into the same category. You are probably correct.

Learn something every day. And here I have thought that this is where stove technology began many moons ago

071217barrelstove2.jpg

pen

If you visit Ireland, you can go to an historical park at Bunratty Castle. There's an Irish cottage with a peat fireplace in use. Talk about horrible! The peat was smoky, smelly, put out very little heat, and was in a stone cottage. We are definitely blessed in this day and age (and country)...

Status
Not open for further replies.