Steel Roof Stove Pipe Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
I am getting ready to install a stove in my shop. Contrary to my Dad's advise to go out the wall and then up like my house pipe, I want to run this one straight up. The roof is basic 5 ridge painted steel and the ceiling will be the same thing. I plan on using basic single wall black pipe to the ceiling and then insulated out the roof. I have not done this before. I have watched videos and looked up what I need but there are so many options for roof and ceiling brackets, I'm not sure what to go with.

I am looking for some advice on which direction to go and maybe some pictures (even installed if possible) if anyone has any.

A side question... my walls are going to be steel. From what I have seen, 18" is the closest I can put the stove to the wall. Is this accurate?

Screenshot_20201011-091853_Chrome.jpg

Does anyone have any pictures of one of these installed? Looks like I just cut a square out of the roof and the upper end slides under the roof.

I don't have a pic of mine but basically you cut out the round hole with proper clearance. The about 3/4 or so in the uphill side you cut a horizontal slit in the sheet metal roof. Then slide the chimney support into that and caulk it. I used the foam pieces that match the rib design on the downhill side. Then screw it down wherever you can get a flat area.