sticking oslo lever

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

potter

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
western NY
Last couple of days the air lever has started to bind. Went back and read earlier posts. Has this not been adressed by Jotul? I purchased the stove this fall would still probably be a faulty one? Can ash get into the doghouseand cause this- been burning 24/7 all winter and the ash bed gets high at points. Also noticing a little sluggishness at start up- won't take off until I coax it up to 500 or above then behaves normally. Can the 'doghouse' get plugged with ash?
Anybody with a newer Jotul having the lever problem and have you pursued it with dealer/Jotul?

Hello Potter! I had your exact same question about my Oslo (purchased in July) and the sticking lever....and I, too, thought perhaps ash was getting in the doghouse or something. I found this thread (see link below) here, and it seems there is a replacement lever you can get from your dealer that has a different 'bend' to it and takes care of the problem.

I'd still like to know about ash getting into that doghouse, though. When I am brushing off my ash lip below the lever, the ash seems to keep coming out from around the lever. The more I brush, the more that falls out! I am burning 24/7 with no cool downs at all, so I'll have to wait until spring to stick my head in there and have a look, I guess.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29345/

Maybe I should have titled the thread differently and focused on whether people have experienced ash interfering with either the lever moving or primary air flow. This morning the stove again was dogging at the beggining of the cycle....same wood, haven't wanted to let it cool, either, to check the doghouse or inspect the chimney.

I've had my doghouse opened up a couple times and there has never been enough ash in there to amount to anything. I do vac it out when I'm in there though, but it's never been enough to even worry about, like, jus a little bit of it laying down in there, but not on top the slide mechanism, down in below that a very small amount lays.

I always run my poker tip into the air holes and make sure they are open/clear of ash, when I'm raking stuff around.

I'm in my second year with my Oslo, and have the original air control lever. I've had my doghouse off one time this winter to lube the lever and slide with powdered graphite, it's an easy do, and my guess is as the lever wears in a bit more I'll never have to do it again.

Let the stove cool enough, like in the morning some time, or afternoon when it's a bit warmer outside, shovel the coals out of it, open the doors, in short order it's cool enough to remove the doghouse and put some powdered graphite in there.

ansehnlich1 said:
I've had my doghouse opened up a couple times and there has never been enough ash in there to amount to anything. I do vac it out when I'm in there though, but it's never been enough to even worry about, like, jus a little bit of it laying down in there, but not on top the slide mechanism, down in below that a very small amount lays.

I always run my poker tip into the air holes and make sure they are open/clear of ash, when I'm raking stuff around.

I'm in my second year with my Oslo, and have the original air control lever. I've had my doghouse off one time this winter to lube the lever and slide with powdered graphite, it's an easy do, and my guess is as the lever wears in a bit more I'll never have to do it again.

Let the stove cool enough, like in the morning some time, or afternoon when it's a bit warmer outside, shovel the coals out of it, open the doors, in short order it's cool enough to remove the doghouse and put some powdered graphite in there.

The above advice will solve your problem. I have never seen enough ash to hinder the control lever. Also make sure when you fill you don't put splits to block the air holes. Sometimes they roll down when burning but once the fire is going it should not be a problem. As has been said before, if you have a lot of coals make a nice trough from the air holes extending to the back of the stove. The splits in the back will burn first and provide good heat. Be safe.
Ed

Contact Jotul or the dealer, there is a fix for the lever mechanism.
Powdered graphite will work for only awhile, then the air control will revert to 'sticking'.

I'll call the dealer. Where does on e buy powdered graphite. Not something I've run across.

I haven't been careful to clear the air holes- usually just rake ash until only coals and push toward the front and reload. Will try the approach described.

Thanks.

potter said:
I'll call the dealer. Where does on e buy powdered graphite. Not something I've run across.

I haven't been careful to clear the air holes- usually just rake ash until only coals and push toward the front and reload. Will try the approach described.

Thanks.
Any hardware store. I usually just add it when I clean the entire stove before we start the winter heating.
Ed

Ok - so I've only been burning a month in my new 500 (purchased December) but I haven't had any sticking issues, fwiw. Not sure I have one of the "newer" ones or not but for now it hasn't been a problem.

potter said:
Last couple of days the air lever has started to bind. Went back and read earlier posts. Has this not been adressed by Jotul? I purchased the stove this fall would still probably be a faulty one? Can ash get into the doghouseand cause this- been burning 24/7 all winter and the ash bed gets high at points. Also noticing a little sluggishness at start up- won't take off until I coax it up to 500 or above then behaves normally. Can the 'doghouse' get plugged with ash?
Anybody with a newer Jotul having the lever problem and have you pursued it with dealer/Jotul?

Contact your dealer...
Jotul had a problem with the manufacturer of the control levers...
They were bent to an incorrect angle & I believe the problem became evident after the units heated up...
Heat can release the stresses imparted into the metal during the bending process,
& the metal can deform slightly...
That deformation causes the levers to malfunction...
Jotul & the manufacturer have since corrected the problem, but there may still be
a couple of units out there with the incorrectly bent components...
It should be covered under Jotul's warranty...

Called the dealer and got the "never had that complaint before", but later in the conversation said the one they use to heat the store did that sometimes. They're calling Jotul and getting back to me. Surprised as this seems like a high volume, mostly Jotul dealer..... I've liked them so far, and he seemed happy to investigate.
Thanks for the specifics DAKSY.

so a big thumbs up to "cricket on the hearth" in Rochester, NY. Dealer called back, said they hadn't got the memo about this issue, but will be sending me a new lever care of Jotul.

Wow, that's great news! I'm inspired now. I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow and see if I can get mine replaced as well!

Thanks for starting the thread, potter! Good show!!

I appreciate your input, ansehnlich, about the small amount of doghouse ash you found (I won't worry much about it now) and a good reminder to keep those holes open with the poker! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.