Stiff Gloves...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

what do use as primary firebox manipulator?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNoBuddySpecial

Dec 19, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
this may need to be moved to another section.

2 things...
  1. are my hearth glove fingers getting stiff JUST from heat or is there something else going on?
  2. how can the suppleness be restored? soak in water?
image.jpg
I do manhandle/move things around with the gloves inside the firebox. right hand is worse than left (because I'm RH). I use rake when needed... but like to use hands more.

any ideas?

Yep, you cooked 'em.

I have had good luck with welding gloves.

Moving this over to the gear room.

pen

Yep, you cooked 'em.

I have had good luck with welding gloves.

Moving this over to the gear room.

pen

I get that I cooked them... can they be revived? if there is no input I will proceed in testing different "suppleness restoration techniques".

An old Kitchen pot holder gets used most, while holding either the poker or a shovel. Only time I wear gloves is if a log falls out.

I get that I cooked them... can they be revived? if there is no input I will proceed in testing different "suppleness restoration techniques".

I just went and looked at my gloves and see that they are hard on the tops (where my fingernails are) and not on the bottom. I never really noticed because I don't pay them much attention considering what they do.

I wouldn't put any oils on them as that might not be wise considering how you got them hard in the first place. If you really are keen on trying to soften them, then just try rubbing / squeezing / massaging / bending them.

But, doing that might just make them crack. Might just be better letting things alone.

pen

Water is leather's enemy. So, do NOT soak in water as the drying will cause further stiffness.
Heat/dry cycle causes stiffness.

Those look like a suede in the pic. If they are a smooth leather you could use NEATSFOOT oil to make them like new again (soft/flexible). I don't think the oil would be "flammable" for the short time you are in the fire box.
The oil actually soaks in deep.

I just want to be clear about my previous post.... NEATSFOOT is not for suede. (if that is what you have).

?? I think I have heard you can use liquid silicone for suede ??

Reactions: pen
I have welding gloves hanging with the fireplace tools right next to both of my stoves. I can't remember the last time I used one or more of them for anything but holding butane lighters. I never, ever stick my hands (gloved or not) into the firebox of a burning woodstove. Can't think of a reason why I would. As far as I'm concerned, that's what steel tools are for. Rick

ETA: As far as restoring your gloves goes, the only thing that comes to my mind is to replace them and then keep the new ones out of the stove.

An idea . . . may not be a great idea . . . but it is an idea . . . continue to use the gloves until they are just too stiff to be used or they start getting thin/holes . . . and then replace with some welding gloves.

I have many a pair of welding gloves but rarely use them - even in the fab shop. They are just to bulky and I am a small dude with small hands. When welding I typically wear light leather gloves or nothing at all. Working with the stove I use these. My neighbor gave me this pair and he gets them from work so I am not sure the cost or availability but they say, "Romex and Kevlar, trademarks of Dupont" on the tag. These gloves are the BEST stove gloves by far that I have ever seen or used. Very flexible, completely burn proof and last forever. I can pick up burning logs or large glowing chunks of coal without feeling it or any damage to the gloves at all. Best thing is that you can just throw them in the washing machine and they look like new. Into my 3rd season with them and the only evidence of wear is that they are not quite as white as they were originally. You can see the stove is climbing to 400 on top on my reload this morning and I an sure I could leave the gloves up there through the whole burn cycle with not effect - they are fire proof I think!!

FYI - they were only up there for the pic and effect - they sit near the stove most of the time.
Gloves.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Take them out to a vise and gently smack the fingers with a hammer - over and over. It will either loosen them back up or cause them to crack (which means replacement time).
I quit using the gloves for manipulation. A 110 year old steel poker with a U bent in the end does the majority of the work.

Reactions: BobUrban
Good call Pen - I am just careful around the stove regarding gauntlet length of my gloves. They work great

Good call Pen - I am just careful around the stove regarding gauntlet length of my gloves. They work great

Only time I really need the longer ones is when I've pulled the coals forward then decide to do an E-W burn in the 30. It's quite a reach to the back to place a log with the forearm over the hot coals.

With the gloves I posted you can hold a orange glowing coal the size of a baseball and not feel it or damage the gloves. Throw them in the washer at the end of the season and into the cleaned stove - there they are in the fall.

Ohlen - I am sure you are correct. The tag is small, letters are tiny and sewn through - best as I could see was Romex - but looking now and knowing I can make out the "N"

Status
Not open for further replies.