stihl 023 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
While cutting today, I noticed something odd......if I held the saw perpendicular to the log, it cut very slow but if I put slight pressure to the outside of the bar, the cutting greatly improved. Does this mean my bar is worn? Every time I buy a chain (recently) I take my bar in to have it checked the dealer says it's fine. Thanks!

When you are cutting, does the cut line go straight, or in a curve?

It could be a bar issue, but I'd be more inclined to think it could be the chain. One of the things that can get you when sharpenning is if you don't get both sides equally sharp, or if you don't get the rakers down to a consistent height - either can cause you to cut on a curve as the chain pulls towards the side that cuts better.

One thing you could try doing is flipping the bar over, and see if the symptom stays the same - if it does, then it's probably the chain, if it starts cutting better in the other direction (or straight) it is more likely the bar - look for rails that are spread, or wear that is higher on one side than the other.

Gooserider

Thanks for the reply. My cut line is slightly angled (not perpendicular to the bark). When I sharpen the chain I take the same amount of stokes (normally 2) on each blade) I'll try flipping the bar. I have put a square to the bar and one side of the rail was worn more than the other but when I asked about this at the dealer he did not seem concerned.
If my bar is bad, do I have to toss the chains from the old bar? One chain is almost new.

bsa0021 said:
I have put a square to the bar and one side of the rail was worn more than the other but when I asked about this at the dealer he did not seem concerned.
Then your dealer is an idiot. Put your bar in a vise and balance a coin or washer on the edge. If one side is higher, take your raker file and holding it perpendicular to the bar, make a few passes and test again. Watch you don't slice your fingers on the burr. In fact, file the burr off as well.

There is no need to toss the chains. Once you right the bar, they should be fine.

I just had a saw come in with the same problem. when you look at the bar it was bent ever so slight and the bar was wearing uneven. Lay the bar on a flat surface and look to see if it is bent.

Rob

Baileys has a couple specialty tools for dealing with bars, and they aren't all that expensive - one is a file holder / guide designed to use when squaring up the rails, it holds the file exactly perpendicular to the bar so the rails come out even. The other is a roller gizmo designed to deal with the way that the rails tend to spread, this closes them back up so you dont get as much side to side play in the chain.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.