Stihl 026 repair and on permanent loan to me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jlove1974 said:
nope. That is the retail store price, and Amick's is about 30 minutes away from me...They also sell Stihl.

You must not fell many trees over 20" diameter if it won't be used....different strokes I guess.
I got some rounds that are 32" and not the biggest from that tree. Willow oaks are huge trees when full grown.

lol I use a 28 most of the time and a 32 when I have to and a 41 when its an OMG! you must not fell many tree...lol Yardbirds around here you would take out a house quick with a 20inch.....32inch rounds or tree's is not szzznic!

even the Stihl manual explains how to do 3 cuts if cutting up to twice the diameter of your bar length. Even bigger with a plunge cut but I hate those.
36" diameter trees are the biggest around here that I would need to cut since it's basically 50-100 year old forests over farmland.
All those monsters you are talking about got felled back when Teddy Roosevelt was president. Now we are just cutting down
the "ornamental" willow oaks that were all the rage in the 1920s. And what I am usually shooting for is standing dead hickory in the 24-28" DBH range.

jlove1974 said:
even the Stihl manual explains how to do 3 cuts if cutting up to twice the diameter of your bar length. Even bigger with a plunge cut but I hate those.
36" diameter trees are the biggest around here that I would need to cut since it's basically 50-100 year old forests over farmland.
All those monsters you are talking about got felled back when Teddy Roosevelt was president. Now we are just cutting down
the "ornamental" willow oaks that were all the rage in the 1920s. And what I am usually shooting for is standing dead hickory in the 24-28" DBH range.

yea on hickory over 20 all good. Oak will go over 40 beech over 30 silver maple over 60

smokin what do you power your mill with? I just wondered what the minimum power level to run a chainsaw mill would be.

I would hope an 066 or maybe even my homelite SXL 77cc saw would do it

jlove1974 said:
smokin what do you power your mill with? I just wondered what the minimum power level to run a chainsaw mill would be.

I would hope an 066 or maybe even my homelite SXL 77cc saw would do it

70 cc is the very min. 90cc or above is good over 110cc is the best. Now most just depends on wood but bigger is better for milling and running cool as possible. The homelite could make a very good edger insteade of one saw to do both jobs. Mini mill and an alaskan mill pretty good set up.

Mini mill great first cut and have the big saw warming up. (idling) Get to be a master at sharpening! Open a shop you will become one of the very best at it in your area! lol
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=46555&catID;=

Really hard to tell how big the Alaskan is but would come in the 60lb range fully loaded. The board on the table is around 70 inchs. That is an 880 saw 122cc...460 76.5cc on the mini mill.

Attachments

• caddy.jpg
    caddy.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 229
  • milling resize 1021.jpg
    milling resize 1021.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 260
  • milling 1022 sesize.jpg
    milling 1022 sesize.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 243
jlove1974 said:
smokinjay said:
jlove1974 said:
that 372XP is no 066 either ;)

372 (70cc saw) is not in the same class as 066. Now a 390 or a 395 xp(87-94cc) those would compare to a 066. Run what you brung!

What you meant to say is for a paltry sum of $800 you can only buy a 70cc saw by [H] that is sub-15lbs, instead of their comparable 90cc class saw for about double that.

Now, I know they don't make the old Stihl series anymore, but inflation doesn't account for all that extra dough being spent without the extra go....

Anyhow, all this crap is m00t points. A Dol-Kita is the best performing lightweight medium-powered saw for the money, hands down

Yew had me at STIHL and lost me at fruit cocktail (dole-kita) ! Sorry!

sorry Dolmar owned by Makita = Dolkita
DCS-6401 64cc 13lb saw commonly rented at Home Depot and then sold for a loss

jlove1974 said:
sorry Dolmar owned by Makita = Dolkita
DCS-6401 64cc 13lb saw commonly rented at Home Depot and then sold for a loss

Eye no WTF fruit cocktail is! AND it ain't nuttin near STIHL!

southbound said:
Nice pic's jay!!!!!!

Thanks a few dollar's on the table....lol

Change the gas line and a new tank filter adjust the carb and you probably got a great saw. Huskey makes a great saw I have one and it runs and cuts great also have several stihl'sand nothing beats the 440 and my 066 NOTHING lol

Naandme said:
Change the gas line and a new tank filter adjust the carb and you probably got a great saw. Huskey makes a great saw I have one and it runs and cuts great also have several stihl'sand nothing beats the 440 and my 066 NOTHING lol

You live to close 460/880 best combo EVER! Do I smell race fuel.....Your just a hair off on both saws! lol

eh I gave it back to him after I tried to fell a 30" oak. 50cc just ain't doing it for me. Yes it turns more RPM but my Homey has way more torque, and on this petrified wood-esque oak I have been cutting lately,
ain't no replacement for displacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.