Stihl 046 tuning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

69911e

Oct 29, 2010
CT
What is the best way to tune my saw; 046 MAG, dual port, big bore? I think it is an 82.5cc now.
I have done 2 methods at WOT;
1: Rich'n it out until it burbles. The burbling method had the engine running at 14K.
2: Set max RPM to 13K using and oscilloscope.

Also, should I decrease the max RPM due to the heavier piston and subsequent stress on the crank and rod?
It cut good at both of the above settings. I love this saw and want to make sure I tune it right so it will last.

Thanks
Ed

I'd run @ the 13K setting if it were me, If I wanted a little more chain speed, I'd put an 8 pin rim on it. Mine cuts like a mother with the 8 pin, & it isn't modded.............................................. Yet. A C

Another vote for the 13K setting. Those max RPM specs are given considering the strength of the engine internals. While the saw may run great beyond that, as you stated, that's even more strain on the bottom-end of that motor.

Exception is that if you hear the saw four-stroking (burbling) while cutting, then I'd go ahead and lean it out a bit.

Thanks for the info, I will leave it at the 13K.

What chain type would you suggest for the 20" bar? Standard RS(C) , Skip, or other? I have the 8 pin sprocket.
How about filing non-standard. I have been filing the rakers down about .020" more than the Stihl depth gauge indicates to get more bite as it has plenty or torque. Good idea or not?
I also need to get a larger bar for the infrequent larger trees. Any opinions on weather I should get a 28" or 32"? What chain type suggested for these larger bars?

What chain type would you suggest for the 20" bar? Standard RS(C) , Skip, or other? I have the 8 pin sprocket.

33RSC-72, Yellow-label full-comp chisel chain. Semi-chisel (33RMC-72) for dirty wood.

How about filing non-standard. I have been filing the rakers down about .020" more than the Stihl depth gauge indicates to get more bite as it has plenty or torque. Good idea or not?

If you're comfortable with that then I'm ::P. ;)

I also need to get a larger bar for the infrequent larger trees. Any opinions on weather I should get a 28" or 32"? What chain type suggested for these larger bars?

How big are these trees? Will a 28" reach across or from both sides? If not then there's your answer. I'd do a semi-skip or skip chain on 28"+. Really depends on the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.