Stihl 290 is whimpy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Webby,

I had a similar problem with my saw when it was brand new. While cutting wood that was 20+ diam. Saw would start out real good then within a short period of time the chain would just stop and the engine would bog down. What I found happening was wood chips/saw dust clogged up the nose sprocket in the bar. When I took the bar off, the sprocket wouldn't spin or was just hard to move. Once I cleaned the junk out of it I've had no more issues with it stopping the chain.

Arlo may have had terrible luck with stihls, or may know folks who have, but I am going to recommend Stihl, just to be contrary.

I still use my old 025 for limbing, mostly, because it lacks torque for the big stuff, now that the saw has over 1400 hours on it. 'Power heads never been apart. Great saw.

Bought a used 270, and I love it (even with 20" bar). 'Really rips.

Dexter

Status
Not open for further replies.