stihl chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

big_fish

Oct 15, 2008
eastern ohio
i have an 028 it is an old saw the chain is a .325 pitch and in the book it has the pitch at .325 and it says the setting is .65 now in baileys catolog it has replacement chains at .325 and the kerf is .63 an 67 drive links is the kerf and the setting mean the same thing will the .63 work on the .65 as long as the drive links and the pitch are the same thanks

There has never been a .065 gauge, .325" pitch chain made. So whatever book you were looking at had a typographical error in it.

Stihl likes to sell .325" pitch chain in .063" gauge, rather than .050" or .058", so you will want to purchase .325"/.063/67dl for your current saw/bar setup.

I don't know of any .065 chain? Anyways, assuming your saw still wears the original setup (things get swapped around over the years) with a 16" bar....you want a chain with .325 pitch, .063 gauge, and 67 drive links.

should be stamped on the end of the bar. Different brands of bar will have different drive link counts, can be a link or two different as they are not exactly '16' inches or '18 inches' or whatever size. I would count the existing chain to be sure.

computeruser said:
There has never been a .065 gauge, .325" pitch chain made. So whatever book you were looking at had a typographical error in it.

Stihl likes to sell .325" pitch chain in .063" gauge, rather than .050" or .058", so you will want to purchase .325"/.063/67dl for your current saw/bar setup.
my 460 came with 3/8 pitch and .050 and the 180 came with micro chain.

kobudo said:
Would you be so kind as to explain gauge and pitch to the uneducated?
gauge is the how wide it is or call the kerf, the pitch is the angle of the cutter

Thanks.
I have a Stihl 021 that I use for cutting smaller stuff.
I also have an old 15-20 years McCullah Timberbear with 20 or 22" total bar.

Some of my chains for the M. are "CZ" and some are "CP". If I remember correctly the CZ is better for cutting soft wood like pine and the other is better for hardwoods. Does this make sense?

gauge is the thickness of the drive link, which is the width of the slot in the bar also.

Pitch is the average distance between pins. i.e. distance between any three rivets, divided by two. Some pitches have unequal distance between every other compenent (drive link pin distance is different than tie strap pin distance, hence thedddd total distance for a set, divided by two.
Pitch of chain must match the drive sprocket, and the nose sprocket.

http://www.oregonchain.com/faq.htm

http://www.sawchain.com/images/complete book.pdf

k

kobudo said:
Thanks.
I have a Stihl 021 that I use for cutting smaller stuff.
I also have an old 15-20 years McCullah Timberbear with 20 or 22" total bar.

Some of my chains for the M. are "CZ" and some are "CP". If I remember correctly the CZ is better for cutting soft wood like pine and the other is better for hardwoods. Does this make sense?
yes the soft woods need more space for clean out of the chips skip chains work great in soft woods

Status
Not open for further replies.