Stihl corded electric chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

heatwise

Feeling the Heat
Sep 13, 2009
ohio
recently purchased the mse 250 corded electric chainsaw. I have the 20" bar matched with friends a nice yellow chain. I run from a 20 amp outlet using 12 ga cord . I have a 50' and a 25' cords , mainly use the 50'. Nice to finally have one after drooling over these for many years. Too early to give a complete review but my first few uses have been productive . I've cut 18" hard maple logs nicely. The saw is light but cuts aggressively and without hesitation. Thought I'd share the latest tool I'll be using around the house.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
recently purchased the mse 250 corded electric chainsaw. I have the 20" bar matched with friends a nice yellow chain. I run from a 20 amp outlet using 12 ga cord . I have a 50' and a 25' cords , mainly use the 50'. Nice to finally have one after drooling over these for many years. Too early to give a complete review but my first few uses have been productive . I've cut 18" hard maple logs nicely. The saw is light but cuts aggressively and without hesitation. Thought I'd share the latest tool I'll be using around the house.
Nice not to smell like gas after a cutting session, and save some trips to the filling station.

They work well for what they are ---until you cut the cord;lol

Reality - a lot of the electrics the big drive gear is plastic and the motor gear steel or brass- One jam up results in a stripped gear . which may or may not be available individually. On some the chain drive sprocket sits on a plastic shaft that is part of the large dia. reduction gear - seen them melt and/or twist off. About a year ago customer brought in a unit - gear stripped- only way to get it was buy whole motor assembly at more than what he payed for the unit new in box. So with electrics, buyer beware, brand name not with standing.

Last edited:
Something to think about as well is chainsaw chaps aren't effective with the electric saws. If you use them I suppose.

I kinda like the smell of the gas, smoke and wood chips.
No accounting for taste! The fumes are toxic, most of us just don't get enough to make us sick. I spend lots of time sucking small engine fumes. I don't like the smell of the exhaust, bar oil, nor the smell of my clothes after. But, the work needs to be done, and my labor is the cheapest around!

Ain't the truth:)

Although I love the rumble of a gas engine and the smell of the [noxious] fumes, I'd love to use an electric saw... But wow do I hate cords. I tolerate it on my pole trimmer, since it cuts down on weight (oh, and is all that is available. lol), but I hate dragging and chasing the cord around. Cordless would be nice, but IMHO, the technology just isn't there yet to spend the money on a battery powered chainsaw. I'm quite sure it will eventually be as good as a gas powered, and I will buy one when it gets here, but until then, I'll enjoy the rumble and the clothes that smell like gas fumes.

My first saw was a Poulan Pro 18 in. electric. It claims 4hp, and I believe it. I've cut stuff as large as 28 in. oak and used as much as 150' of extension with no problems. I paid $98 including shipping. At that price I'd consider it disposable if something major actually failed. I also have a 14 in. Homelite ($50) which lives with my electric splitter for those fibrous pieces that just won't separate. One thing to watch is the bar oil. Since you don't have to refuel, you forget to check the oil. While not particularly quiet, they are quieter, cheaper, much easier to start and more reliable than gas saws. For the right situation, they are great. I question paying extra for the Stihl name though.

I question paying extra for the Stihl name though.

In general, I would never pay extra just for a name. When I've bought gas powered Stihl pro saws, I've never felt like I was paying extra for the name. It costs more to manufacture to a higher standard. If anything, I've felt it had more value, value that was made possible by Stihl's economies of scale.

As to corded electric saws, I have no idea if that value is present.