Stihl HP Ultra - anyone have issues with this Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Stihl Ultra is an FB rated 2 cycle oil. The JASO (Japan) scale of 2 cycle oils is FA FB FC & FD. FA is obsolete, so we have FB FC & FD ratings. Generally, the higher the rating the better the oil, because the oil will have more additives. So, when tested the FD oil will outperform the FB oil. This is measured by wear on metal and temperature (I'm summarizing).

I'm guessing it is more cost effective to have less additives (Stihl Ultra). Echo oil looks good, it is mostly FD (143-147). Husky too (203-204). I don't think Stihl is on this list but Stihl Ultra is rated as an FB oil by the industry. Maybe better to run Husky or Echo oil in your Stihl chainsaw? Here is the list. Poulan Pro is an FD oil, too. Note: they are listed in alphebetical order by the supplier name - the 2nd row.
https://jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/2T_EV_LIST.pdf

Reactions: Ashful
Generally, the higher the rating the better the oil, because the oil will have more additives. So, when tested the FD oil will outperform the FB oil. This is measured by wear on metal and temperature (I'm summarizing).
Comments, @ABMax24 ?

I would have expected that saw to burn up just by the look of it. It is absolutely filthy. We don't even know how well it was tuned. Most saws that I see get burned up look the same as the one in the video. They are packed with gunk and crud and have burned bar rails just like the one in the video. That saw has been abused.