Stihl MS 500i - Ready for Sale in USA ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CincyBurner

Minister of Fire
Mar 10, 2015
SW Ohio
It looks like Stihl is getting ready to sell the MS 500i.
From Stihl USA website - MS 500i
Too big for my needs, but curious.
Anyone heard anything ?

It looks like Stihl is getting ready to sell the MS 500i.
From Stihl USA website - MS 500i
Too big for my needs, but curious.
Anyone heard anything ?
Haven’t heard when they are releasing in the US but there are ways of getting one. Few of my buddies have em. Seem to be happy with em so far.

I’ve seen frequent poor reviews from logging companies that get them. Too flimsy for hard work seems to be the consensus.

I’ll stick with the 661.

I’ve seen frequent poor reviews from logging companies that get them. Too flimsy for hard work seems to be the consensus.

I’ll stick with the 661.
The AV is the only downfall. They tried to make em smooth like a husky. Took all the “feel” out of it.

It seems like they are taking forever to get this saw to market. Fuel injection really isn't all that tricky, there have been fuel injected 2 stroke snowmobiles for over 20 years now.

Reactions: duramaxman05
The AV is the only downfall. They tried to make em smooth like a husky. Took all the “feel” out of it.
Whats the AV?
From what I read, It took a few revisions and a lot of not so happy people to get the CM acceptable. I've been waiting for FI. Hopefully It works well and becomes available on all there saws. I'll wait and see.

Whats the AV?
From what I read, It took a few revisions and a lot of not so happy people to get the CM acceptable. I've been waiting for FI. Hopefully It works well and becomes available on all there saws. I'll wait and see.
AV = anti-vibration.
They made it too soft, some say anyways. I have no personal experience with one.

I've seen some posts on the OPE forum and they are impressed. Makes the power of an 80cc saw at 60cc weight, pretty impressive. I'm not in the market for a saw, but the 500i is really nice.