Stihl ms260/ms260 Pro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the input guys. I have been taking a bead on the "used" market for the 260, because I do agree the $400+ price tag for the 260 was a little steep for the saw (In my mind anyways). I am pretty sure that I will stay with the stihl brand simply because there is no other dealers close by for me (several stihl dealers around, but no husky or others). I like the idea of having a dealerthat is 3 miles from where I cut my wood. I also have a bead on a barely used 310 as well as a 390. Both were purchased by people I know, but really have no use for such a saw. I was looking at the 260 because of the size, weight, power, but am not married to the idea. Keep it coming, love the input from other "users". :coolsmile:

I replaced my garage sale 30 year old craftsman (homelite copy) originally with an ms260 pro for the most part just to get the safety of the chain brake. I was hopeing for a saw that would blow the doors off my old craftsman and be a lot lighter and faster. The dealer steered me toward the 260 pro so that's what I bought. I used it once and found it seems to be the same weight and similar power. I couldn't believe this $500 saw wasn't much of an upgrade from my old craftsman. I exchanged it the next day for an ms361 pro. Huge difference, may more power, smoother and much faster. It is a couple pounds heavier which you can notice and $110 more expensive but well worth it. I believe the 260 is an older design. I wanted a saw that would last me a life time and I think I found it. Can't say enough good things about it, very well made and easy to statr. It also gets rave reviews over at arborsite. I kept my craftsman as a back up. Good luck.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.