Stihl MS290 sharpening stones size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wattdogg

Jan 15, 2015
Indiana
I have been sharpening my chains but I always forget to write down what size I buy. Does anyone know what size this would take? It's an 18" bar.
thanks in advance

I have been sharpening my chains but I always forget to write down what size I buy. Does anyone know what size this would take? It's an 18" bar.
thanks in advance

Did you check the bar itself? I believe all the info you need is on the bar. If not, your dealer should be able to help.

Reactions: TreePointer
I've had it a couple years so its wore off I will call the dealer thanks a bunch

Think its 3/16. Please confirm. This is from memory.

If your chain is .325" pitch = 3/16 stone. If chain pitch is 3/8" = 7/32" stone. If you measure the distance between 3 rivets and divide by 2 = pitch.
If it's Stihl chain:

Pitch (Marked on cutter)
1 = 1/4"
2 = .325"
3 = 3/8"
4 = .404"
6 = STIHL PICCO™ (3/8" Extended)
7 = STIHL PICCO™ (1/4" Extended)

I've had it a couple years so its wore off I will call the dealer thanks a bunch
If it's wore off get a new bar as those are stamped into the tail of the bar not just painted on. I have seen both .325" and .375" on the 1127 series, so you need to find out what you have then you can get the file size.

You guys are awesome it was 3/16" thanks a bunch

The chain on my older Stihl 026 is marked on every link. You do need to pull the chain to read it but it is stamped right into the metal links down near the base, not up by the cutter itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.