Stihl String Trimmers - anyone have recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
So my freebie Weed Eater weed whip saw it's last walk around the yard yesterday. It's lucky I didn't brake the shaft in half over my knee (or maybe I'm the lucky one, hah).

I'm going to have to buy a new string trimmer this week. I've been so pleased with my Stihl saw I really think I'd like to grab up a Stihl brand string trimmer and keep it forever. Anyone on here own a Stihl trimmer?

I'm looking at the lowest model (FS 45). The price is great ($150) but I've seen some mixed reviews online. Perhaps I should look at some of their higher end models? Also, anyone have any opinions on straight shaft versus curved shaft? This thing will be used for 100% home owner stuff, nothing fancy. But I want a unit I'll be happy with long term.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I've got the FS 85R. Its from their Pro series line. Straight shaft. I used strictly for my own yard(but I've got 7 acres to trim). Has never broken down. I've done the usual cleaning and maintaining.

I've had it for six years. Its been a real heavy duty trimmer. I use it as a string trimmer and I've also put on the different heads: one with the 3" nylon rigid cutting sticks and the circular saw(similar to a hand held circular saw). You can cut up to ~ 3" saplings with a quick strong swap.

I'd buy another one, definitely, if this one ever dies.

Not sure of the price difference but I have and Echo I bought used from Home Depot 12 years ago and it is still going strong.

fs 90 the one I keep looking at just cant pull the trigger yet, and the wife gave the ok!

smokinj said:
fs 90 the one I keep looking at just cant pull the trigger yet, and the wife gave the ok!

I saw that one this AM too. It appears to be one of the least expensive Stihl straight shaft units that can be used with all of their attachments. I'm intrigued by the edger attachment as well as the pole saw attachment. Why can't this be easy?????

stee6043 said:
smokinj said:

I saw that one this AM too. It appears to be one of the least expensive Stihl straight shaft units that can be used with all of their attachments. I'm intrigued by the edger attachment as well as the pole saw attachment. Why can't this be easy?????

Its the pole attachment that does it for me and the reviews are very good!

I bought a used FS 90AV about 20-25 years ago and am still using it. It vibrates a little more than the newer ones I'm sure but it still runs.

After have a great Stihl saw I to went looking at there weed whacker's a few years ago. I would normally not do this but because it was a Stihl I got there cheapest one, curve stick. I think it was $139, half some of there other models. It's been perfect. starts just like the saw. I use it 3 or 4 times a year to do 300 feet of road drainage ditch.

jj3500 said:
I've got the FS 85R. Its from their Pro series line. Straight shaft. I used strictly for my own yard(but I've got 7 acres to trim). Has never broken down. I've done the usual cleaning and maintaining.

I've had it for six years. Its been a real heavy duty trimmer. I use it as a string trimmer and I've also put on the different heads: one with the 3" nylon rigid cutting sticks and the circular saw(similar to a hand held circular saw). You can cut up to ~ 3" saplings with a quick strong swap.

I'd buy another one, definitely, if this one ever dies.
+1

I have had the same “line trimmer” (Stihl FS 85R) for over 10 years now. Never any maintenance, never ran it dry before winter and it always starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull. I also bought the 12” chainsaw attachment and trimmed all my low hanging branches the first year and it worked great. Nice thing is that it takes the same spark plug as my .029 and uses the same gas/oil ratio.
I would buy another one if this one ever craps out.

You guys are great. I knew I could confirm my "hopes" that the line trimmers were as good as their saws. Off to the local dealer it is. Let's see which model I end up with....could be a toss up at this point. The 55, 80 and 90 all look tempting. hmmmmmm....

I have a Stihl pro trimmer. (I can't remember the modle it is but its 40 cc) I love it! I have had it for three years and it is the best trimmer I have owned. Go pro and never look back.

I have a FS 200 c/w bike handles. Had it about 6 years. When runs it is awesome. Problem is that this particular one does not have the adjustments on the carb! Piece of crap carb that they quit using. Works well when first run, but if you have to stop after running it for a bit, you may as well grab a cold one and let it cool down, because it will not start again. It seems like worn rings, but it's been checked 3 times by the dealer.

I have been told that I can replace the carb for about $ 120.00 but that's a hard one to swallow after putting $ 600 out for the unit. Just my $0.02 Rant over.

Please resume the Stihl happy hour. Love my 2 Stihl saws and my BR 600 blower.

I've got a FS110 with bike handles. I did have to replace the ignition module once after a couple years ($80). Must have been a fluke because I've never had issues with any other Stihl product (I have 6).

Purchased a Stihl FS-45 about three months ago to replace my freebie Weed Eater also.

I used the Weed Eater mainly for trimming around the house, trees etc. Ran great for that. Didn't do the larger weed cutting with it.

When it died I went with the cheaper Stihl to perform the same simple work.

One major difference that I noticed. I have to rev the Stihl up to what I think is a lot higher RPM's to get the clutch to engage so it is not near as "tree friendly" as my old Weed Eater POS.

On the positive note, I have used the Stihl much more than I ever used the Weed Eater to tackle the larger weeds over my head and have had no issues with it. It seems to cut it all.

The Stihl seems to vibrate more than I am used to also. Seems common from what I have read.

I would think it will last longer than that old Weed Eater.

Peter - don't think it was a fluke, that was one of the first things they suggested on my FS200. Wasn't - so now I have a spare (in case mine does go bad). They also had it in stock, so must be at least somewhat common of a repair part.

If you have a local dealer I would also look at the Tanaka line of weed trimmers. I've been using one of their mid-size models for 18 years and it has worked flawlessly for medium/heavy homeowner use.

John_M

I have 2 stihl saws and bought a bg85 blower. I have a ryobi 2 cycle string trimmer that has done well. If it goes I would buy either another ryobi or a stihl...

I have a Stihl trimmer, its a 550? I think. it does not have some of the attachments I wish it did, a tree trimmer attachment to be exact. Make sure you get the model's that have all the attachments available, just in case you decide to buy some of those down the line.

I had to rebuild my carb this year, took 25 minutes and 10.00 kit from shop. Back to running great. I also have a little problem with the gas lines coming off, I think I will have to buy some new ones soon.

I use mine to trim, and I have a blade that helps me clear brush, it actually cuts small trees pretty well.

This one caught my eye. Had a friend turn me on to stihl products begining with a saw.
Added a weedwhacker and a blower.Its been more than 20 years now on the 026 and nearly the same on the rest. Built-in flywheel keyway(aluminum) failed on the blower
a couple years back. Filed it out and put in a new key, been running ever since.
enough said..........

question i have is:
What is the difference between the straight shaft and the curved shaft trimmers ?
durability?
comfort?

Dont figure i'll be needing one in the near future but i didnt see anyone ask that and
have always wondered
rn

Rusty
Here's what I remember about the curved and straight shaft designs. The curve shaft uses a flexible cable from the motor to the top of the head. I guess it would be like speedo cable. The straight shaft connects to the head using a gear box at the head. Is one more durable than the other, I don't know. One advantage of the straight shaft is getting under low bushes. Although haven't found any issues with the $139 curved shaft, model I have. If it breaks, I'm not fixing a lot, it's a throw away.

The machine came with the round nylon string. I now use the string with four or more sides you can get at HD. It cuts better and lasts longer.

I have the one of the Echo PAS units with the string trimmer and brush cutter head attachments - got it last year after my cheapo Ryobi died... Easy starting, and cuts everything I've tried to do with it, including a lot of heavy duty brush clearing...

Gooserider

I would vote for an Echo myself as that is what will replace my MTD when it dies (Bought used, cheap). As far as yard equipment goes many pro's use Echo and for consumers they have a 5-year warranty which is nice. Nothing wrong with Stihl, but I find Echo to be as good or better in the yard equipment arena.

We had a FS43 or 2 and it was a POS. The problem with it was the recoil spring/assembly kept breaking. This has been about 6 years ago, but it turned me off of Stihl weedeaters. Why pay the extra money to have a dealer tell you 2 years later that it's a very common problem with them. Wasn't worth the money to keep fixing. I've heard great things about the Echo, but like many here haven't pulled the trigger on it. My yard is small so I just roundup what I can't mow with the push mower.

drdoct said:
We had a FS43 or 2 and it was a POS. The problem with it was the recoil spring/assembly kept breaking. This has been about 6 years ago, but it turned me off of Stihl weedeaters. Why pay the extra money to have a dealer tell you 2 years later that it's a very common problem with them. Wasn't worth the money to keep fixing. I've heard great things about the Echo, but like many here haven't pulled the trigger on it. My yard is small so I just roundup what I can't mow with the push mower.

+1 on the round- up, it's expenive as well but only needs done every 5-6 weeks

Well gent's thanks a lot for all of the great information. I knew you'd have some valuable input. I ended up at my local dealer this week and he made me a deal on an FS80R that I couldn't refuse. The 80R won't run the attachments but I kinda decided I didn't need to spend the extra coin right now on one that does.

This sucker is powerful. I can do 75% of my trimming at half throttle. And at full bore it will go through anything. Fun times for sure. Thanks again for the responses....I do appreciate it....

Status
Not open for further replies.