Stihl vs. Dolmar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinj said:
FLASHMAN said:
smokinj said:
FLASHMAN said:
smokinj said:
FLASHMAN" date="1219270098 said:
clarkharms" date="1219268815 said:
smokinj" date="1219263457 said:
Still happy with my stihl no matter what i paid for it vaule is in the eye of the beholder when you had your dolmer for 10 years+ we will see how they are then.Hard for me to put dolmer on top until the track record is there
Dolmar made the worlds first gas powered chainsaw, no other manufacture has made gas powered chainsaws for longer then them. The track record is there and with the backing of Makita they are in a good position to expand. Other than dealer network the other down side is lack of line up. The 5100 and 7900 dominate their respective classes but those two saws are the only real class leaders. Who knows what they may come out with next, hopefully a bigger saw to replace their 9 series something that will knock a 660 on its can. In the end we the consumers are going to benefit from this competition I just hope Dolmar keeps their pricing down.

The pricing being relatively low on the Dolmars is a temporary thing IMO... Remember, even though they are the oldest chainsaw company in the world, they're trying to break into the US market which has been DOMINATED by Stihl and Husky forever. That's why the US prices are lower than the prices in Germany where they're made right now. IMO, the Dolmars WILL go up in price, probably closer to Stihl prices once they establish themselves in the US market. In all likelyhood, unless dramatic changes are made, that will do a lot more to hurt Husky than Stihl.

All that said, maybe they'll make something COMPARABLE to the 660, but knock it on it's can??? that's going to br a tough row to hoe...
No one will knock stihl on its can with any of there pro saws just compete is all they are trying to do.what size bar you running on that 660

I have a 20" that I use primarily for bucking on the ground, and I also have a 28" with full skip chain that I can swap to if I have a really big trunk to buck or if I'm felling...
Thats the same setup iam running on a 460,i bet that 660 would be a sight

There's a pic of it here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19836/ I'm gonna have Woodbutcher put together a video of me cutting with the 660 at some point... I'll post it.
Did you port it

No, that was already done when I bought it...

FLASHMAN said:
smokinj said:
FLASHMAN said:
smokinj said:
FLASHMAN said:
smokinj" date="1219271643 said:
Still happy with my stihl no matter what i paid for it vaule is in the eye of the beholder when you had your dolmer for 10 years+ we will see how they are then.Hard for me to put dolmer on top until the track record is there
Dolmar made the worlds first gas powered chainsaw, no other manufacture has made gas powered chainsaws for longer then them. The track record is there and with the backing of Makita they are in a good position to expand. Other than dealer network the other down side is lack of line up. The 5100 and 7900 dominate their respective classes but those two saws are the only real class leaders. Who knows what they may come out with next, hopefully a bigger saw to replace their 9 series something that will knock a 660 on its can. In the end we the consumers are going to benefit from this competition I just hope Dolmar keeps their pricing down.

The pricing being relatively low on the Dolmars is a temporary thing IMO... Remember, even though they are the oldest chainsaw company in the world, they're trying to break into the US market which has been DOMINATED by Stihl and Husky forever. That's why the US prices are lower than the prices in Germany where they're made right now. IMO, the Dolmars WILL go up in price, probably closer to Stihl prices once they establish themselves in the US market. In all likelyhood, unless dramatic changes are made, that will do a lot more to hurt Husky than Stihl.

All that said, maybe they'll make something COMPARABLE to the 660, but knock it on it's can??? that's going to br a tough row to hoe...
No one will knock stihl on its can with any of there pro saws just compete is all they are trying to do.what size bar you running on that 660

I have a 20" that I use primarily for bucking on the ground, and I also have a 28" with full skip chain that I can swap to if I have a really big trunk to buck or if I'm felling...

There's a pic of it here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19836/ I'm gonna have Woodbutcher put together a video of me cutting with the 660 at some point... I'll post it.
Did you port it

well i know where there is 6 maples all over 50ins the two of use could tackle it in a weekend!

smokinj said:
FLASHMAN said:
smokinj said:
FLASHMAN said:
smokinj said:
FLASHMAN" date="1219274851 said:

Did you port it

well i know where there is 6 maples all over 50ins the two of use could tackle it in a weekend!

If only we were closer, I'd bring Woodbutcher along, you should see him cut into a pile, he's a madman!!!!!

FLASHMAN said:
smokinj said:
FLASHMAN said:
smokinj said:
FLASHMAN said:
smokinj" date="1219275432 said:
FLASHMAN" date="1219274851 said:
[quote author="smokinj" date="1219263457"]Still happy with my stihl no matter what i paid for it vaule is in the eye of the beholder when you had your dolmer for 10 years+ we will see how they are then.Hard for me to put dolmer on top until the track record is there

Did you port it

If only we were closer, I'd bring Woodbutcher along, you should see him cut into a pile, he's a madman!!!!![/quote]
i got more wood than i can hope to burn in 10 years if anyone close to anderson in. give me a shout can hook you up!

A ported 660 is my "when I grow up I'm gonna get one saw" But I bet compared to a Dolmar "it's a real dog".......................(just kiding)

polaris said:
A ported 660 is my "when I grow up I'm gonna get one saw" But I bet compared to a Dolmar "it's a real dog".......................(just kiding)
Thats funny right there!

polaris said:
I don't know, that 660 looks like a dog to me......a junk yard dog. Stihl guys don't get your panties in a bunch the reference to a dog in this case is meant as a compliment.

I once owned a 029 Stihl & ran it till it died. At the time I thought it a fine saw....

But a 5100s will OWN it hands down. The Dolmar is, if you just go by the manufacturers figures, is 1.8 lbs lighter & produces the same hp, but with higher chain speed.

To really understand how big a difference 1.8 lbs makes you'd have to run both saws for 4-5 hrs or more, then you really see the full benefit of the lighter pro saw. Further the anti vibe on the Dolmar is just a bit better as well. You get what you pay for & the reason Dolmar is offering more for the $$ spent is simply due to the fact that Dolmar is trying to take a greater share of the market. The prices Dolmar is selling their saws for now is temporary IMO, which is supported by the fact you can buy the Dolmar at a lower price right now in the US than you can in Germany where they are much better known.

What Dolmar needs most of all now is a greater number of GOOD dealers in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.