Stihl vs. Dolmar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beagler

Sep 9, 2007
I can pick up a Stihl ms290 for $340 or a Dolmar ps 510 for $325. What would you do?

I'd test run both saws and see which one I liked better.

I had a Stihl 034 with a 20 inch bar for years. Bought a Dolmar 5100 with a 18 inch bar and 3/8 chain and sold the Stihl and never looked back as the man said :coolsmile:

Shipper

Good prices! Then there's the Dolmar/Makita 6400 for under 500$. My only problem with Dolmar is the lack of local support and their inability to ship a saw.

Does anyone think if enough people seem to like and buy Dolmar, then someone would catch on and try and ship and make the saw cost effective? I know I am a 58 year old retired steelworker, but the mind is not all gone. ;-)

Shipper

I believe there was a thread a little while back asking about business opportunities. This could be one of them.

Highbeam said:
Good prices! Then there's the Dolmar/Makita 6400 for under 500$. My only problem with Dolmar is the lack of local support and their inability to ship a saw.
Makita does ship and some dealers for Dolmar ship as well. If you want a dealer that does ship PM me. I agree with everyone else get the 5100, or get a used home depot makita 6401 saw and upgrade it to a 7900. Personally for a single saw operation I think the 5100 would be my saw of choice.

Highbeam said:

NEVER even heard of dolmar till I came to Hearth.

GO STIHL or don't go.

Lees: I too never heard of Dolmar until I came to Hearth. I can purchase Stihl parts very easily where I live. Dolmar parts and service is atleast 45 minutes away.

My decision was easy to make this morning. My Dolmar dealer increased his prices by $50 from just two weeks ago! He now asking 380 for the ps510 and 440 for the ps5100. I picked up a Stihl MS290 today for only $340. I'll hopefully make some cuts tomorrow with it.

I'm not going to bad mouth $tihl they are a good saw and I do own one. However Dolmar tends to beat them out on every point except dealer network and number of saws in their line up. You can't compare the 5100 to a 290. The 290 is a good homeowner saw but is not a proffesional saw and the power to weight ratio sucks. I am not surprised the prices of Dolmars is going up they were underpriced. I had already posted that the saws are actually cheaper here in the states than in Germany, obviously they are trying hard to get into this market. Also if you go to their website you will see Dolmar is actively looking for dealers here in the US. With Husky sounding like they are dropping the ball on the one yard line it would be a great time for a husky dealer to pick up Dolmar and drop Husky.

clarkharms said:
I'm not going to bad mouth $tihl they are a good saw and I do own one. However Dolmar tends to beat them out on every point except dealer network and number of saws in their line up

Like I said in the other thread...that is a deal breaker and it doesn't matter if the saw has 20hp, weighs 5lbs and it $200 brand new. If I can't get parts within a short drive and when I need them...it's nothing but a fancy paper weight. I'm not knocking Dolmar, i've never seen one and i've only heard of them in here. But until service/dealer network catches up, you can't compare the two. I just searched for a Dolmar dealer in my area...there are two in Michigan and quite a haul for a round trip drive. To me, that makes them a non consideration.

woodconvert said:
clarkharms said:
I'm not going to bad mouth $tihl they are a good saw and I do own one. However Dolmar tends to beat them out on every point except dealer network and number of saws in their line up

Like I said in the other thread...that is a deal breaker and it doesn't matter if the saw has 20hp, weighs 5lbs and it $200 brand new. If I can't get parts within a short drive and when I need them...it's nothing but a fancy paper weight. I'm not knocking Dolmar, i've never seen one and i've only heard of them in here. But until service/dealer network catches up, you can't compare the two. I just searched for a Dolmar dealer in my area...there are two in Michigan and quite a haul for a round trip drive. To me, that makes them a non consideration.
Like I said the achielles heal of Dolmar is the shortage of dealers. As far as parts they are very available through places like Baileys and Amicks. Personally I am never in a position where a little down time will hurt me as I always have a surplus of wood on hand and do not rely on my chainsaw for my livlihood. It comes down to personal choice. I never need dealers of anything to work on any of my equipment as I have never found something I can’t fix myself. So long as parts are available I can get it to run. People who need dealers to service their equipment should factor that into their purchase decision.

beagler said:
I can pick up a Stihl ms290 for $340 or a Dolmar ps 510 for $325. What would you do?
The ms 290 is the farm boss parts are very easy to get and a great running saw for the money! (if your only doing 5-10 cords a year)

I've heard that the 290 is the most antiquated saw in the Stihl lineup, and that is why it's on sale, they're trying to clear it out. Go to arboristsites and dial up 290. It's considered Stihl biggest dog actually....

Myself, I'm leaning towards Dolmar right now for my first saw purchase.

In Ohio, Stihl dealers are not clearencing out or putting 290's on sale. All dealers are asking MSRP. I got lucky and found one dealer that would work with customers.

beagler said:
If those were the only two choices I could make I would go with the Stihl. The other posts are true about the 290 being a dog, but it has been around for a long time and has more power than the 510.

beagler said:
In Ohio, Stihl dealers are not clearencing out or putting 290's on sale. All dealers are asking MSRP. I got lucky and found one dealer that would work with customers.
stihl vs dolmar i would always go with the stihl but, l also cut alot of wood.

smokinj said:
beagler said:
What difference does it make how much wood you cut, unless you are implying that Stihl are more reliable. I haven't seen anything that would definitevely prove that, however I have seen proof that Dolmars are considerably less expensive. For instance your Stihl 460 lists for $879 w/20" bar. Many dealers including the ones in my area sell them at MSRP. A Dolmar 6400 can be had for $499, with the difference in cost you can buy the upgrade kit for $200 to make the 6400 into a 7900, AND still have money left over to buy a Stihl 170 for $179. A 7900 with spare jug and piston and limbing saw for the cost of one 460. BTW a 7900 is lighter and more powerful than a 460.

clarkharms said:
smokinj said:
beagler said:
What difference does it make how much wood you cut, unless you are implying that Stihl are more reliable. I haven't seen anything that would definitevely prove that, however I have seen proof that Dolmars are considerably less expensive. For instance your Stihl 460 lists for $879 w/20" bar. Many dealers including the ones in my area sell them at MSRP. A Dolmar 6400 can be had for $499, with the difference in cost you can buy the upgrade kit for $200 to make the 6400 into a 7900, AND still have money left over to buy a Stihl 170 for $179. A 7900 with spare jug and piston and limbing saw for the cost of one 460. BTW a 7900 is lighter and more powerful than a 460.
Huh it all depends on how much wood you cut,if your cutting a coulpe hours a month both saws would be fine,however the trees i seem to get ahold of are 50 in plus and the 460 with a 28 in bar and a 20in bar will run 8-10 hrs a day with no issues at all.(no jugs replace and i dont need that limbing saw just the 460 will do fine)

smokinj said:
clarkharms said:
smokinj said:
beagler said:
Huh it all depends on how much wood you cut,if your cutting a coulpe hours a month both saws would be fine,however the trees i seem to get ahold of are 50 in plus and the 460 with a 28 in bar and a 20in bar will run 8-10 hrs a day with no issues at all.(no jugs replace and i dont need that limbing saw just the 460 will do fine)
Great buy the 7900 and run it 6-8 hours a day, more power less weight than the 460 means you will be less burned out at the end of the day and won't have to run 8-10 hours a day because the 7900 is faster. As an added bonus you will pocket over $200 on initial purchase, that buys a lot of oil, gas, chain, and bars. Just try and get use to all the extra power and cash in hand.

ok you was pitching the 5400 now your going with a 7900 witch saw you going with here?

In the $400 range I would pitch the 5100 (not 5400 as you suggested because that doesn't exist), in the $600 range the 7900. Honestly if it were a one saw owner I would say the 5100. It is a great compromise between power, weight, and cost. For a two saw set up the 7900 is a great felling and bucking saw and then get something small like a Stihl 180C for limbing, gee that set up sounds familiar.

doesnt realy matter to me there isnt but one dealer in the whole midwest,and its not to tuff to fell buck and limb with one saw. I dont look at saws to save a dollor to day i look at them to save a dollor tomorrow.Whats postage on a 7900 both ways?

Status
Not open for further replies.