Stinking black pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRP3

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2007
NYS
Just fired up the stove with some new black elbows and pipe sections and it smells like burning plastic! The pipe, mostly the elbows, started smoking and stinking. I shut down the fire to stop it. Is this normal with new pipe? I did notice when I bought the elbows there was some oil leaking out of the joints and I tried to wipe off as much as I could, maybe that's where it's coming from.

Yes normal, it is the oil burning and the paint curing.

Fire it up, open some windows a bit if you need to, get it hot and keep it hot and let it cure...smell will be gone after a couple of good hot burns. Rick

Make sure if there are plastic labels on the pipe (Simpson uses them), that they have been removed first.

Status
Not open for further replies.