Stocking wood in garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
My garage is 30'x40' I would like to dedicate 8'x15' section for storing wood. Is this good for seasoning or just storing the already seasoned stuff!!!

I have an open leanto against my cinder block garage. It is 8' x 8' x 18' with the three sides open. The maple, ash & locust I stacked in there
last May > June is still not seasoned. Never noticed the problem before with an old Russo stove. With the NC 13 I sometimes have trouble
getting a secondary burn. Also end up with great mounds of coals. With some of the wood, you can see the sap boiling out of the wood.
I think just opening a few windows in a garage is not going to really help get the wood seasoned.
Al

It will season faster out in the wind and sun. If possible, you could do that and move it inside before the fall rains. That would be the ideal, however, it does mean handling it an extra time.

btw, if you stack it outdoors, do not cover it! The moisture will evaporate better if left uncovered. Don't worry about rain unless you live in the Pacific NW where it might rain day after day after day. Normally, you leave the wood uncovered through the summer and fall but cover it before big fall rains or snow. Then cover the top only.

I have read where a cord of fresh white oak, for example, has 6- 55 gallon barrels of water it will release!!!!!! I dont want all that water rusting up my tools.

I barely have room for an evening's wood in the garage, let alone any larger quantity.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.