Storage Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrobertson

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2007
West Michigan
Has anyone looked into if a concrete plaster liner like they use for large in-ground pools would hold up to 190 degree water. What I'm concerned about is the large temp swings from 190 to 130 before recharging the tank, would this cause increased risk of cracks and if so, would the liner paint hold up to the heat. I can make the inside of the tank stable enough so that the walls will not crack due to settling but what about the heat?

I ran across an internet site once, I think by following a link posted somewhere on this website, where I guy did something like that. He had it really well documented, too. Lots and lots of work, at least the way he did it. Insulation is a lot harder when you try to do it from the outside of the tank. But it has a lot of appeal, too.

I was thinking about concrete blocks, alinmum foil, air space, foam insulation, then reinforcing wire with concrete plaster over it, and then pool paint. All of this would be underground, in a building with the boiler setting on top of the tank. I'm just concerned about it cracking alot with the extreme temp changes. The inside of the tank will be 7x7x10' deep and a epdm liner will be a pain to place in this and there will be alot of folds where I'm afaid this is where the liner will fail. The other option is seaming it with the seam tape and it works for no slop roofs but has anyone used it yet for a tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.