Storage tank Diffuser

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2009
WI
I will be piping my horizontal 1000 gallon lp tank this week. I will be connecting to the top on one end and the bottom on the other end. I have 2" fittings welded in the tank.

I have 1-1/2" double tap reducing bushings. I thought I would put these modified 1-1/2" pipes inside the tank to aide in horizontal flow. There will be a plate welded across the bottom of pipe just below elongated hole.

What do you think? Will it help reduce vertical flow?

gg

Attachments

• diffuser2.jpeg
    diffuser2.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 313
  • diffuser1.jpeg
    diffuser1.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 300
Option 2 is a copper directional 90. It is 1-1/2", The one pictured is a regular 90. I could switch to a street 90 to shorten the depth it goes into the tank.

The top of the street 90 hole would be 3.5" inches under the top of tank.

Using the black pipe diffuser it would be 2" under top.

Which do you think would cause less turbulence?

gg

Attachments

• copperdiffuser.jpeg
    copperdiffuser.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 265
Could you add a 5' or longer piece of straight copper to that elbow with the end capped and holes drilled 2" apart pointed upward and still fish it into the tank? Maybe use a hole on the other side of the tank to support the pipe while you tighten it. I think 30 or more holes pointed upward spread out over a good portion of the tank would be ideal if it was possible to get it mounted in the tank. Where did you find the double tapped bushings?

Ordered the double tapped bushings from a local Pumps & Equipment shop.

The 2" fittings are two close to end of tank to get much of an extension on the and still be able to turn the Double tap reducer.

gg

Attachments

• tankport.jpeg
    tankport.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 232
  • tankport2.jpeg
    tankport2.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 225
goose,

Maybe extend the copper down into the tank about 6 inches then a 5 or 6 inch, (maybe longer if it would fit), horizontal piece of pipe with holes drilled pointing up? That way you should clear the sides, probably wouldn't matter if the top 5 inches instead of the top 2 inches are the hottest part of the stratification process.

Status
Not open for further replies.