Storage Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawandorder

Mar 17, 2008
upstate new york
I have two 250 gal propane tanks on end for storage piped to 1 1/4 Thermopex from boiler room to house. I read on this site about using probe thermometer to check temps which I did for the first time yesterday. It seems that I am only getting supply temps of 160-165 from storage. How do I maximize the heat to the storage to get my tanks up to 180? The balancing valve is set at about 1/2 way and my return temps are at 150 give or take the accuracy of the thermometer. any ideas??

My balancing valve is probably 80% closed, if not 90% closed...try stopping her down just a bit more and see if you can push those temps higher...

If my boiler starts to idle shouldnt my storage temps be as high as possible or are they not related. I assumed when the boiler idled my temps were maxed out and i should be outputting 180 plus degree water on the supply but it is still in the 160 range. The learning curve continues

Idle and max output temp are two different things, but surely related.

If your heating demands (storage or zones) are not 100% satisfied you should not be idling, excpet maybe every once in a great while if your boiler breifly provides more output than you can pump away.

To answer your question - if your boiler is idling but your storage is not maxed out, you may have a problem with plumbing/pumping/etc. Have you set your max boiler temp to 180+?

I'd still suggest you close your balance valve a bit more. More hot water to storage will help get the bottom of those tanks warm. Once you get the bottoms up to temp your boiler should really start to crank.

I have a mixing valve. I have the balancing valve at about 70 % closed. and the boiler temp on the tarm is set to max. I am taking the temp reading on the Thermopex supply line before it goes underground. All the copper is insulated to that point and the tanks are spray foamed as well. I am surprised that i am not getting higher readings than that. And a little disappointed. I dont think anyways that I should have a problem getting the tanks up to 180. thanks for the help

I guess I'm confused - are you getting 180+ water OUT of your boiler? I thought by your post above you were saying your boiler is only outputting 160-165 degree water.

If you're sending 180 degree water to your storage you should be good to go. How long have you been charging your tanks? Are they new? It takes quite a while to bring large volumes of water up to full temp. For me it was three days of full-bore running to bring 1000 gallons up over 170.

Last question - are you reading the temps on the outside of thermopex? Or do you have a thermometer installed in a well? If you're reading 160 on the outside of the pex you may very well be running 180 degree water....

Sorry for the confusion. I have been measuring the pex on the supply line after leaving the storage. I get readings of 165 ish when the boiler has gotten to the point of idling. When i check the temp guage on my Oil burner in the house it to shows temps of 160 ish. System has been up and running for three months. I do not have any temp guages on the storage tanks but when the season is over ill put guages on the supply and return I am just trying to make do for now and to figure out everything. Thanks for the help...

Status
Not open for further replies.