stove cement becomes useless powder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 6, 2009
NC
I decided it might be helpful (against faint smokey odor in room during slow burns) to better seal around the bottom of my stovepipe where it goes into the flange on the top of the stove (it's not perfectly round, and there's a gap of maybe 3/16" in one spot, where the circular flange is closed with a weld).

So I've used ordinary stove cement and it works against the smokey odor. But in less than a season of burning, the cement sort of degenerates into a fine powder - might as well have dumped a layer of talcum there, and I don't think it's doing much good anymore.

Is it just than the flue flange gets too hot ? Is there a different product that might work better ?

You need to use flat gasket any furnace cement you use will be pulverized by the expansion and contraction.

Reactions: RustyShackleford
I had the same results in the same application. The dry chunks of cement loosely in the gap seal better than nothing at all though.

You need to use flat gasket any furnace cement you use will be pulverized by the expansion and contraction.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks. Just get some gasket rope of the right diameter and cram it in there.