Stove cement for Defiant II rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IowaHuntr

May 22, 2022
Iowa
Hey guys, I am replacing a cracked lower fireback on my 1980 VC Defiant II and decided to tear it down and reseal the whole thing. I got this Rutland furnace cement but noticed it says best for gaps 1/8” or smaller. The beads of stuff I chipped out of the channels were much larger than 1/8”. Is there some thing more suited for this rebuild? I want to do it right the first time. Thanks so much!

036C02E3-CDDB-4A05-820E-634713229FFF.jpeg

You're fine. Those gaps are all 1/8 in or less. You see more because of the overflow. But where the metal seams actually join, its pretty much touching.

Reactions: IowaHuntr
Thank You! I was pretty sure this product had been recommended on another thread but wanted to be sure before I started assembly. Much appreciated!

Thank You! I was pretty sure this product had been recommended on another thread but wanted to be sure before I started assembly. Much appreciated!
No problem. I use this in my restoration shop, and I know for a fact Jotul uses it on their brand new stove assemblies as well.

Between 4 and 5 should do it. You want to be pretty liberal w the cement.

FYI, I strongly suggest you do the casting cleanup outdoors with a HEPA filter respirator, most refractory cement has fine silica which is not good for your lungs. I remember when I did mine 30 years ago, I was coughing up black stuff for a couple of days. Since Covid most folks have access to HEPA masks. I wore a pair of coveralls and threw them in the wash without any other clothes right afterwards.

FYI, I strongly suggest you do the casting cleanup outdoors with a HEPA filter respirator, most refractory cement has fine silica which is not good for your lungs. I remember when I did mine 30 years ago, I was coughing up black stuff for a couple of days. Since Covid most folks have access to HEPA masks. I wore a pair of coveralls and threw them in the wash without any other clothes right afterwards.
N95 disposable masks with the flapper valves are the best, and they are cheaper by the dozen by far. Personally if it is a stove i am going to have on display somewhere or plan to resell after an initial once over with a stringer brush on the grinder all the parts go into the cabinet blaster and get fine steel slag blasted. All of these activities warrant a good form of breathing protection, wear one just once and see what it looks like when you are done.

Reactions: fbelec