Stove Chow @ $197

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
geek said:
and you peeps are talking about buying pellets with all this HOT weather?

:)

It's one thing to talk about saving $100/ton. The key is to actually go out and do it...even when the temps are in the 90's.

The dealer actually does sell cubex (northern) he is no longer going to sell the cubex and focus on PWI pellets. They still have northern in stock which I plan on picking up.
Funny of the night, I tried to explain to my wife what a pellet pig is and having a stash. She thinks I'm crazy!

197 in Shrewsbury MA too. I'm thinking of grabbing a ton, though I just stacked 5 tons of Maine last weekend. Will HD deliver?

I just ordered 4 tons of Turman's. How do these Stove Chow pellets compare?

Last winter I burned 4+ tons of Barefoots, and then during the spring season picked up various bags, including the Turman's, Hamer's and Oakies. Unfortuntately things are really tight right now, so I couldn't afford the uptick in price on the Barefoots, but the Turman's seemed to perform similarly for me.

Same $197/ton at Dickson City, PA HD. I really wish they would take more care in storing these outdoors. Several of the pallets I looked at have already been violated. The top tier of bags were bloated like Elvis, from all this rain.

As you can see from my signature, I'm prejudice. I just burned 1 bag of Stove Chow last year, not enough to get a good comparison. They were dustier and produced much more ash than the Turman, again that's with limited experience with them. I think most agree that last years Stove Chow were pretty decent pellets, but I am always leary about pellets the big box stores sell. The quality can change from year to year and the fact that they are producing such mass quantities, I would question the quality of the raw materials they are using. At least with Turman, they use their own sawdust from their flooring business. I feel comfortable that I purchased a high quality pellet that's going to burn well in my stove. Last winter I burned mostly Turman and I barely had to pay attention to the stove compared to when I burned NEWP. My guess is 80% of the people on this forum would say go for the Stove Chow; I would stick with the Turman.

Newf,

If you spot Somersets and the boxstore. Please try a few bags. As long as they kept them dry. Very close to your beloved Turmans. I do like the Turmans too, But a bit pricey this year.

I burned Stove Chow last year and I'm all set with them. Had to clean my pipe twice during the season. Loads of fly ash, heat was ok. I'm going back to NEWP, worth the extra $$ IMO.

Grabbed 4 tons stove chow at Rockland HD today, while there wifey bought new washer and dryer...comes out to about $700 a ton. She stays home next year!

goathead said:
I burned Stove Chow last year and I'm all set with them. Had to clean my pipe twice during the season. Loads of fly ash, heat was ok. I'm going back to NEWP, worth the extra $$ IMO.

Did some limited testing last season and Stove Chow, Instant Heat and (surprise) NewEngland were the contenders for last place....just no heat. The NEWT were a particular dissapointment since so many describe them as good pellet brand.

The Stove Chow in particular was very short pellets and had lots of dust in the bags..ash was fairly normal for me - but I dont care too much about ash, I clean out with vacuum every 24 h anyway, so that might not be all that accurate.

IMO, not worth going for.

I burned 6 or 8 bags of stove chow last winter in my quad castile.

They burned great little ash good heat output they burned equivalent to the dry creek I was burning at about $20 less per ton.

When I burned them it was about 15f as the high.

I will by a ton if I can find them near me at HD or Lowes sounds like a great deal.

My dry creeks are $238 per ton this year should have bought in spring they were $210.

Status
Not open for further replies.