Stove Chow / Cleanfire / Homestead Pellets $165/ton - Worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonesy

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
NE PA
Woodpellets.com is advertising discounted pellets "as-is" for $165/ton in my local Craigslist. Are these brands any good? Stove Chow / Cleanfire / Homestead.

That's a tough one because if you ask 10 people you're going to get 10 different answers. I've never used any of those pellets (thinking of getting a few bags of Stove Chow this year), but from what I've read here it seems that some stoves burn them quite well, others not so much. So those people with stoves that are tolerant of the lesser quanity pellets love them, others hate them.

Bottom line: They are lesser quality than something like a Barefoot pellet. The only way to really tell I'm afraid is to try them. At $165 a ton, if you don't like them, mix them with a quality pellet - If you go 1/2 and 1/2 they should burn nicely......

just my 2 cents.......

Stove Chow is a solid middle of the road pellet. For $165i would buy as many as I could....however, "as is" sounds a little fishy. Its not like a car you can fix. They are either in good shape or destroyed by water.

Stove Chow is a solid middle of the road pellet. For $165i would buy as many as I could....however, "as is" sounds a little fishy. Its not like a car you can fix. They are either in good shape or destroyed by water.
I was thinking the same thing.... must mean that something is wrong like maybe some bags are open or there is some water damage....

Hello

4 years ago Walmart in Hudson NH dumped a whole ton of Nature's Wet Heat in their own dumpster!!

So I pulled out 4 good bags!

Most of the bags were torn and wet! So it depends upon the "AS IS" condition they are in! ! ! !

Attachments

• NC1.jpg
    NC1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 118
  • nc2.jpg
    nc2.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 108
If your just burning them in the garage? Then I would get a ton of each and be done with it.

Overall. Stive Chow seemed to be a decent pellet 2 yrs ago. Last year it didnt have so many fans. The other 2 I have no comments on. But do a search up top and it should give you an idea of what people think?

I think the SC is a good all around pellet......don't know anything about the Homestead, and the Cleanfire are below average (if they're the hardwood version....the softwood gets good reviews).

Have burned Cleanfire Pacific and Stove Chow in the past and they were not too bad.

However, in my experience, depending on which pellets you are burning, the quality varies
quite a bit from year to year.

Would be a bit skittish about the "as is" tho.

Caveat Emptor

"as it"'. Too scary. However, I would just give wood pellet.com a call and ask them with any concerns. I can't imagine they are trying to sell wet pellets. Could be buy backs from unhappy customers, or damaged bags etc. Most likely burnable, but not packaged well enough for regular retail.

I emailed them and asked what "as-is" meant and they replied that some bags on the pallets are torn/damaged and may be wet. That is why they are selling them so cheap.

I'd pass, but it depends on your situation. My stove didn't really like stove chow, and the big box stores around here carry better stuff for almost the same price. Last year I got Greenways for 177/ton, Presto logs for 157/ton, and can usually get somersets for around 180/ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.