Stove chow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2016
Long Island
Home depot sells stove chow for 3.99 a bag. It's not glamorous, but it burns hot at 8400 BTU's. I have tried other brands and none burn as hot. Don't bother seeking out high end pellets that cost more than your gas or oil bill. I heat my whole 2200 sq ft house on it. Works great. The whole idea is to grab high BTU pellets cheap to hedge oil and gas plus electric. Remember even if you use natural gas you are using electric to blow hot air via ducts unless you have base board/hot water. Regardless my nat gas and electric are so low because of my stove they are checking my meters to investigate. Hedge away!

Reactions: sweets and bogieb
Our Electric bill is always around 10.00 more month during full pellet season.. Running 24/7.
Concerning Stove chows:
I burned 2 ton my 1st/2nd winter along with 2 tons Energex Hardwoods..
Absolutly No difference in heat or ash content....
not hard to fathom since Both are Manufactured by Energex here in Upstate Pa.
Too much ash for me to deal with anymore so I don't buy them but still produce good heat.
When I was home all day I kept up with pulling the ash into the burnpot..
I'm now a low ash softwood snob...:cool: to each his own.

Last edited:
I burned exclusively Stove Chow this winter. They are definitely very ashy and my stove required cleaning / emptying the bin more often. I think we were lucky with a mild winter (at least here in NH).

I still have about 2 tons left (using about 4 this winter).

I prefer the Okanagan Gold, they seem to burn hotter and have a great deal less ash build up.

Reactions: Tonyray
Status
Not open for further replies.