Stove clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

metelskiy

Nov 18, 2021
Beaverton, OR
So I'm trying to figure out how close to the wall I can put my stove.
Manufacturers manual only shows distance to combustibles, but what is my hearth is also included on the walls and above the stove (see picture), Do I still need to follow manufacturers clearance or I can put the stove closer to the wall? I realize I'll need to use double wall stove pipe in order to meet clearance requirement to walls that are not protected.

1637434928401.png1637434976672.png

The stone veneer does not count for a clearance reduction. However, the clearance is to the nearest combustible which in this case might be the studs behind the stone, except that the window trim is a combustible. In this case, that is where it needs to be measured from. You might also try rotating the stove 45º to see if that helps by going with corner clearances.

What was used for the roof penetration and how is the chimney supported outside?

What was used for the roof penetration and how is the chimney supported outside?
I like the idea of rotating 45deg, it also gives a better look.

Currently, the hole in the ceiling (that was left by previous owners but sealed by new roof replacement) doesn't line up with the stove at all and there is no way to line up other than elbowing double-wall pipe. My current plan is to make a new hole in the ceiling to have single wall pipe straight up and I'll be using 6DT-CS11 support box to support the chimney.

Sounds good. Keep us posted and shout out if there are more questions.