Q&A Stove Door gasker will not seal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a Treemont freestanding wood stove. I have had it since 1985 and it has been a very good appliance. It has a front and a side door. For some reason the doors no longer seal properly even with new gasket material installed. It is like they are warped. I tried the dollar bill test that I read at the Chimney Sweep site that you told me about in the newsletter. About 20% of the door area did not seal properly, the rest was fine. I would appreciate any advise you could give me on correcting this problem.

Answer:

Other than a new door, the best way is by installing new gasket and being careful to bunch it together in some spots while pulling on it in others so it is thicker where the door does not seal;. Also, adjust the latch, either by bending the internal part or by removing washers (depending on latch type).

Status
Not open for further replies.