Stove Fan not turning on and off like before, but staying on.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WonderingWoman

Jun 5, 2008
Pacific NW
I got the Alderlea t-5 this season with the stove fan. I noticed when I woke up that the fan was on and staying on all the time. Before it only turned on after the stove had warmed up, then it would turn on and off. Is there an adjustment on it? Any suggestions?

Chances are the fan has a low limit snap switch. They are not intended to turn on and off while the stove is going, just to delay turning on when first warming up and then turning off after the fire dies. If it was toggling during normal burning, it probably was dislocated and not properly sensing temperature. The repeated on/off toggling probably wore it out and will need to be replaced.

I don't care for the feature so I don't use one.

http://images.google.ca/images?gbv=2&hl=en&q=low+limit+snap+switch

LLigetfa said:
Chances are the fan has a low limit snap switch. They are not intended to turn on and off while the stove is going, just to delay turning on when first warming up and then turning off after the fire dies. If it was toggling during normal burning, it probably was dislocated and not properly sensing temperature. The repeated on/off toggling probably wore it out and will need to be replaced.

I don't care for the feature so I don't use one.

http://images.google.ca/images?gbv=2&hl=en&q=low+limit+snap+switch

Just Curious, Whats not to like about it..

I think my daughter must have changed the setting from auto to manual while I was at work yesterday. I didn't know it had two settings. I think I like the manual setting better, not that constant on and off.

Thanks

WidowMaker said:
Just Curious, Whats not to like about it..
I like to be able to turn it on whenever I want, not just when the low limit has been reached. On my stove it took a long time before enough heat permeated through all the firebrick and steel to turn on the fan.

I have a Jotul Rockland and my outside thermometer will reach 275 degrees and when set on auto fan mode it still won't kick on so I always use the fan on manual mode. The auto mode has worked in the past when the stove was really hot, is this normal?

Look at where the temperature sensor is and maybe adjust it for a better contact with the hot surface. That was why I suggested in my first reply that it may be dislocated.

My regency F1100 has a auto and manual fan switch, I usually just leave it in auto, it will turn on around 350* and turn off around
125*. Auto works fine for me, one less thing to remember. I think you are better off letting the stove get up to a good hot temperature before turning on the fan.

If the fan is turning on and off while the stove is in operation, it sounds like something is wrong withe the temp sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.