Stove for my shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

electrathon

Minister of Fire
Sep 17, 2015
Gresham, OR
I am finishing up a remodel of a shop building and am looking for a stove. The building is 20"x22" and very well insulated. I will be out there often on weekends and some evenings. I will be burning a lot of wood/lumber scrap and smaller scrounged pieces, not a lot of large cordwood. It also does not usually get all that cold around this area (Portland, OR) so it is not a huge deal to over come a massive need for heat.

I am considering a Pleasant Home stove that Home Depot has listed for $500. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pleasan...ertified-Wood-Burning-Stove-WS-2417/205718882 My main concern is the draft that this stove will be capable of. Many of the new stoves totally suck as far as draft is concerned and I do not want to buy a stove I am constantly fighting. From the floor to the top of the chimney I think I have about 16', not terrible but not great. I am looking for input of other inexpensive stove suggestions.

A 16 ft chimney will work for most new stoves, especially if it is straight up. Proper draft and fully seasoned wood are the primary requirements for a decent fire. How tall is the shop ceiling?

Another stove to consider is the time-proven Englander 13-NC.

I am finishing up a remodel of a shop building and am looking for a stove. The building is 20"x22" and very well insulated. I will be out there often on weekends and some evenings. I will be burning a lot of wood/lumber scrap and smaller scrounged pieces, not a lot of large cordwood. It also does not usually get all that cold around this area (Portland, OR) so it is not a huge deal to over come a massive need for heat.

I am considering a Pleasant Home stove that Home Depot has listed for $500. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pleasan...ertified-Wood-Burning-Stove-WS-2417/205718882 My main concern is the draft that this stove will be capable of. Many of the new stoves totally suck as far as draft is concerned and I do not want to buy a stove I am constantly fighting. From the floor to the top of the chimney I think I have about 16', not terrible but not great. I am looking for input of other inexpensive stove suggestions.
16' should be fine fire just about any stove.

What will the shop be used for? It is very possible a wood stove will not be allowed by code which can cause major problems if there is ever an insurance claim.

16’ from floor to cap. The chimney height will be less.

When I had my shop stove permitted and inspected they also required an 18” hearth which further shortens the chimney system.

16’ from floor to cap. The chimney height will be less.

When I had my shop stove permitted and inspected they also required an 18” hearth which further shortens the chimney system.
Yes they make it through inspection all the time. That doesn't make them code compliant unless the inspector gives you a written exemption. And they will almost never do that because it makes them liable.

This will not be a garage, just a workshop area. No gasoline stored and no natural gas to require lifting the stove above to flammable gasses in case of a spill. The total chimney height is easy to add to, just that would be the minimum . There is a vaulted ceiling that is about 18" thick. Concrete floor. I am mainly worried about the sucky draft from many of the new stoves, trying to avoid that issue.

The other option is to build a waste oil heater. I have access to oil but feel it would be annoying to transport it. No matter how you try, it is messy.

I think you will be fine. Don't be afraid to go a bit oversized if this is going to be a regular winter workspace.

This will not be a garage, just a workshop area. No gasoline stored and no natural gas to require lifting the stove above to flammable gasses in case of a spill. The total chimney height is easy to add to, just that would be the minimum . There is a vaulted ceiling that is about 18" thick. Concrete floor. I am mainly worried about the sucky draft from many of the new stoves, trying to avoid that issue.

The other option is to build a waste oil heater. I have access to oil but feel it would be annoying to transport it. No matter how you try, it is messy.
Then there is no problem with national code. Some local codes don't allow them in woodshops either if that is the purpose you would have to check locally